01 gg 300 rad cap

jhendr3702

Silver Level Site Supporter
the parts list crossover i have found show a ktm radiator cap with a higher bar rating is a good replacement for my 1.2 oe gasgas. The caps i can find are 1.4 1.6 and 1.8 and did not know what would be the best for ole blue. The only change i have made is the LTR impeller and at about 90 degress I am dribbling a little bit of coolant. I clicked the search and could not find out much.
thanks in advance

Unless your really stressing the motor with little airflow, your bike should not overheat in 90 weather. I have only boiled my 2000 EC300 twice and it still has the stock impeller and rad cap.

Couple things to check.

1) The coolant should be 1" below the cap-if you over fill it, it will leak out.

2) Make sure the gasket/seal on the radiator cap in not distorted.

You don't want to go too high on the cap pressure rating.
Think of the pressure rating as a "fuse" in your cooling system. If you run a cap that has a high pressure rating, you may blow gaskets in the cooling system.

Girard

my cap seal is distorted.. it looks like something chemical wise was growing on it, kinda chalky residue, so i am just gonna replace it.
thanks for the input.
jay

Last edited:
Had the same problem with my 06 450. It seemed the coolant had crystalised under the seal and distorted it. I ordered the correct part but while I was waiting for it to arrive I removed the seal and put it back on upside down. It sealed ok and is still good for a spare.

Had the same problem with my 06 450. It seemed the coolant had crystalised under the seal and distorted it. I ordered the correct part but while I was waiting for it to arrive I removed the seal and put it back on upside down. It sealed ok and is still good for a spare.

this workd perfect on mine. I did not know you could take those caps apart.
thanks for the info.
jay

Back