2003 200ec jetting?

83cbrown

172 main
35 pilot
Clip top position.
2 turns on air screw.
I feel I've gotten my bike jetted almost right. The problem is I have a lot of oil on my back fender. I do not know what this is from when I first got the bike it was running rich. I proceeded to lean it out. But, it still smokes. Is it the crank seal? Rings, etc... I checked compression and I have 200psi. I recently took out the packing in the silencer because it was so saturated with oil. I guess my question is is my jetting right? why am I getting so much oil everywhere??

172 main
35 pilot
Clip top position.
2 turns on air screw.
I feel I've gotten my bike jetted almost right. The problem is I have a lot of oil on my back fender. I do not know what this is from when I first got the bike it was running rich. I proceeded to lean it out. But, it still smokes. Is it the crank seal? Rings, etc... I checked compression and I have 200psi. I recently took out the packing in the silencer because it was so saturated with oil. I guess my question is is my jetting right? why am I getting so much oil everywhere??
Jet for performance not for spooge.

I guess my question is is my jetting right? why am I getting so much oil everywhere??

I had (still have) the same issue on my '11 EC200 and see the same thing on my wife's 200 (which is also an '11).

Although concise (lol), desert's reply is pretty much spot on and what I came to the conclusion of after testing multiple scenarios. I still get spooge, but my bike is spot on when it comes to throttle performance, so I live with it.

One thing you might want to consider is the type of oil you're mixing; this will have an impact. I don't spend much time on the main jet, so going with an oil that requires a high flash point results in more spooge for my bike. I mix with Amsoil Interceptor, which has a lower flash point than the Dominator. If you're wringing the heck out of her and using a high flash point oil, then this isn't an issue - but it's worth checking.

What's your plug look like after a chop test? If it looks good and you're getting the throttle response you want, then spooge is one of those things to live with.

There's a ton of good information that's been loaded into this thread: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17437 if you haven't looked through it. I also have a thread I started on here for my own bike that's 4-5 pages long with all kinds of info on various needles and trying different pilot jets.

Let us know what size slide you're running, as well as the typical elevation and temps - all that helps :D

I ride in western pa in about 60 -80 degree conditions. I ride mostly tight trails and single track. So I'm not in the throttle all the time. I use and dominator I was told it's very good I will look into the interceptor. The slide is currently a 5 and I have a n1ee needle. Could it be the oil??

I ride in western pa in about 60 -80 degree conditions. I ride mostly tight trails and single track. So I'm not in the throttle all the time. I use and dominator I was told it's very good I will look into the interceptor. The slide is currently a 5 and I have a n1ee needle. Could it be the oil??

Dominator is good stuff, but it has a higher flash point than Interceptor and could easily be contributing to the spooge issue. If you're not on the main all that often, I've read that it's overkill for the tight stuff - doesn't get hot enough to burn all the oil and you see drool.

That said, you're probably going to find that jetting to get rid of spooge will end up causing a lean problem. I'm by no means an expert and have learned lots from reading through the stuff on this forum - and from getting help from the likes of Jakobi and others.

If you haven't checked your plug, that's a good thing to do. I'm not familiar with that needle - would need to go back through my thread as I think one of our 200s came with a n1ef (or something along those lines).

How's the throttle response? A great test is to head out on a road with a slight incline and get up to 3rd gear. With the engine under load, whack the throttle - the bike should hit and raise the front wheel. If you get bog or blurble, then something's amiss.

I haven't messed with the jetting on our bikes since getting it setup, so I'd need to re-read the stuff I mentioned.

So then what oil is the best besides interceptor and dominator. Is there one that has a lower flashpoint then interceptor

So then what oil is the best besides interceptor and dominator. Is there one that has a lower flashpoint then interceptor

I'm a huge fan of Motul 710...

I did what you did... jetted the bike the best I could, did a lot of homework, but still tons spooge - enough to drip off pipe onto swingarm. I was using Motul 800, which is a high flashpoint oil designed for "racing" at consistently high RPMs and combustion temps. I did my research and learned that there is a wide range of synthetic 2-stroke oil types and moved to Motul 710, but, like liv2day wrote, most companies make a lower flashpoint (but still high performance/"racing") oils.

If you're like me and ride ~80% slower technical singletrack (vs on the pipe MX tracks all day) then try Motul 710 in your 200. There's a good discussion about all this on this thread on/about page 12: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12760&page=12

Last edited:
Brown,

I have an 04' 200. I've tried jetting to eliminate spooge but haven't been able to get it gone. You will be way lean by the time you get rid of the spooge. I just jet the bike for best performance and let it drool. I think I'm at a 180 main with a 38 pilot, air screw 1.5 turns and needle in second from top clip. I was running Honda racing oil which gave poor performance and to much drool. I changed to Amsoil Dominator and the bike runs much smoother with it, also quieter and with a less spooge. The bike really likes the Dominator better than the Honda oil. In a 3 hour ride I'll have spooge just reaching the bottom of the muffler. I run low to mid rpms with occasional high rpm spurts. I also upped my timing a little which helped with spooge and performance. I currently have an FMF fatty pipe on the bike with a fmf silence. I have a stock pipe but have not tried it to see what performance difference it gives. I use regular unleaded gas. I tried aviation fuel once and the bike hated it. I would definitely have to re-jet to use aviation fuel. Have not tried the Interceptor oil but plan to give it a try soon.

Hope this info help

Cheers

What slide would you suggest?

I'm running a 7 slide in my 200, and my wife's has a 6 slide; didn't think about that consideration. Changing the oil you run will be a cheaper test to start with - especially if she's jetted with the throttle response you like. If you change the slide, be prepared to re-jet appropriately :D

What slide would you suggest?

Depends on how you want the power to come in.
6 = smooth
7 = snappier

I have a 6.5 in my 250. I tried an 8 and it was too aggressive for me so I went back to the 6.5 slide. The effect will also change based on your needle taper. Experimenting is the only way to find out what happens.

Depends on how you want the power to come in.
6 = smooth
7 = snappier

I have a 6.5 in my 250. I tried an 8 and it was too aggressive for me so I went back to the 6.5 slide. The effect will also change based on your needle taper. Experimenting is the only way to find out what happens.

Don't be afraid to try that #8 slide with what would normally be the more aggressing duel taper Yamaha N3xx needles. I find the Yamaha N3xx needle when combined with the #8 really smooths out the power similar to the Suzuki needles, but adds a touch more torque down low. It's a very good combo.

Now when you use that same #8 slide with the Suzuki needles. Its really makes the power very responsive, like you mentioned, when compared to the 6.5 or 7.0 slides. Some people may like.

Higher number = higher cutaway = leaner at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. As mentioned it works in combination with your needle.

First step = select a needle.
Second step = select a slide to tweak how the needle performs.

Usually leaner = more power (and snappier power) unless you go too lean (erratic running).

So your saying higher the side number more low end torque? Or did I get this all wrong..

Nope, It's the richer first taper of the N3xx needle that gives the bike more torque, and when combined with the leaner #8 slide it seems to really smooth the bike out, yet pump up the torque a little. I would say the bike is not as linear power wise as when using the Suzuki NExx needles, but it's a nice trade off for the extra bit of torque.

Neil is correct. The slide comes into effect from 0 to about 40%. There is a lot of trial and error to this jetting stuff. Good luck

Back