2004 gas gas 450

miah

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with a bike that has a pretty strong smell of gas in Oil?

Has anyone played with adding a thermostat /w bypass? Could this be caused by rings? Leaking Injector?

Also it would be nice to find a shop in Northern Calfornia that knows anything about these bikes.

id check the head gasket, its possible for a leak between a oil way and compression chamber. its not forced to make it misfire if its a new leak or a small leak. you can have this (sniff tested) at a local garage with a fluid that goes into a sucker over the header tank or radiator and changes colour if gas/petrol is detected.

It's most likely a leaky injector. There are a couple of threads on here regarding cleaning it. What maybe happening is the fuel pressure is leaking away through it after you switch off and running into the inlet and past the rings. It should be an easy test, pull the throttle body complete with injector/fuel line and run the pump to get the lines up to pressue. Turn it off and see if it stays dry. If not the injector needs to be cleaned or replaced. The fuel lines degrade with the ethanol in the fuel and become a strange orange goo with black bits in it. If these pass through the filter at the top of the injector they may prevent the barrel from closing. Carb cleaner worked for me although it is not recommended or ultrasound. Failing that the injector can be replaced fairly cheaply so long as you don't go to Gas Gas for it! There are some threads on here regarding supply

Not knowing where in Nor.Cal you are, but the good folks at Lewisport USA might be able to help. I know they have a GG 450 for sale and have worked on a several.
Google them for a phone number their on the web.

Good luck

Fse 450

I've got a brand new in the package
fuel pump and injector should you decide either has failed. Pm me I have loads of repair experience on that model.

It's most likely a leaky injector. There are a couple of threads on here regarding cleaning it. What maybe happening is the fuel pressure is leaking away through it after you switch off and running into the inlet and past the rings. It should be an easy test, pull the throttle body complete with injector/fuel line and run the pump to get the lines up to pressue. Turn it off and see if it stays dry. If not the injector needs to be cleaned or replaced. The fuel lines degrade with the ethanol in the fuel and become a strange orange goo with black bits in it. If these pass through the filter at the top of the injector they may prevent the barrel from closing. Carb cleaner worked for me although it is not recommended or ultrasound. Failing that the injector can be replaced fairly cheaply so long as you don't go to Gas Gas for it! There are some threads on here regarding supply
Hi there,
Looking for some info on cleaning injectors on an 02 FSE 400. Searched thread but to luck, can you help.
Cheers,
Cameron

Back