2007 EC250 fork bush problem

JAD

Marzocchi 45mm forks

Hi all, I have a bit of play in the lower fork legs. I can move the lower fork legs a tiny bit - I thought it was the steering head bearings at first but on closer inspection it is the lower leg moving a bit in the upper suspension leg/sleeve (back and to).

I believe this may be due to worn bushes so I bought Pyramid Parts kit (including new seals etc) but the lower bush was too big and would not fit. The upper bush was fine. I rang the local Gas Gas dealer and they tell me the lower bush is now obsolete and they are unable to get it any more.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can get the correct size lower bush?

Or, is a small amount of play acceptable/normal?

Many Thanks

John

UK

Last edited:
Les should have some info. Other bikes like Husqvarna from similar years may be another source for parts. That being said RaceTech did not show a GG version for 2007 but they showed 2005 TE510 that used the 45 zokes. They show an inner bushing option but no outer bushing option.
Inner Fork Bushings (pair) FMBI 452015 P $29.99

Outer Fork Bushings (pair) FZBO 45 P None.

Is it possible the kit you received has the wrong outer bushing parts?

You said the one pair are too big. What dimension is too big, Diameter, width thickness? If diameter is the problem, can you cut off the end to shorten it and recurve it to fit?

If you can not find new ones, can you clean your old ones and coat or paint the non wear surface to build up the thickness and reduce your slop?

Post a WTB in the classified section. I am sure a few members have some in their tool box collecting dust.

on my 45s and venous vintage forks iv used steel shim to pack out the lower fork bush i get it of ebay

Thanks all.. I may have sourced a replacement set from Inntech - they should arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed they will fit. https://www.facebook.com/626282221/videos/10156056058732222/

Ref shimmimg... I have an old set of feeler gauges. Can I use a suitable thickness one to shim the bush or is there a "proper" way to shim them?
Never done this before.

Also, intrigued with the idea of painting/coating the non wear surface.. is this something people have done and if so what type of coating/paint?

I have not done the painting option, but I would not be afraid to try it. Even though it is not on the primary wear surface it could experience some wear from small movements.

I think you would need a very thin long feeler gauge to cover the full circumference so the bushing is centered. It depends on how much gap you have. You can measure the old bushing and it to the new bushing.

The SKF kit was a good fit so problem solved. There is still a tiny, tiny bit of play but nothing I am worried about.

Many thanks to all.

Back