2011 Sixdays 300

biggstr6

Bronze Level Site Supporter
I just got this , Have ridden it once , really rich on bottom blubbering ,would hardly lift the front wheel.

I went to drop the needle one clip today and found out I have a 36mm Carb.

Arent these supposed to have the 38mm carb ? I thought I saw somewhere where someone else got a 36mm.

What is the story ,is gasgas replacing the 36's for 38's ? Or are some of us guinea pigs?

I haven't ridden it with the needle dropped yet (waiting on air box plastics, Which while taking them off ,one of those silly plastic screws broke right off ,and getting the the part that it screws into out , it got buggered all up. They really are cheapo connectors).

Any input would be hepful.

My 2011 250 has a 38mm. I've got a YZ250 JD jet kit and will be dialing it in Friday. Once I get it dialed in you are welcome to try my kit in your bike as the jetting should be very similar. It would only take us 15 minutes to swap out.

Randall suggested trying a 42 pilot, N3EH needle (YZ250) and a 180 main on a 300.

Jeff

As long as it's not raining bad I would meet you up there. The JD kit should work just might have to use a few different settings. It's worth trying.

Is Todd riding Fri?

Yeah, Todd ,David Reid and myself. Not sure if anybody else is or not .

Just looked at the weather , doesn't look too promising.

I just got this , Have ridden it once , really rich on bottom blubbering ,would hardly lift the front wheel.

I went to drop the needle one clip today and found out I have a 36mm Carb.

Arent these supposed to have the 38mm carb ? I thought I saw somewhere where someone else got a 36mm.

What is the story ,is gasgas replacing the 36's for 38's ? Or are some of us guinea pigs?

I haven't ridden it with the needle dropped yet (waiting on air box plastics, Which while taking them off ,one of those silly plastic screws broke right off ,and getting the the part that it screws into out , it got buggered all up. They really are cheapo connectors).

Any input would be hepful.

I've got an '11 with the 36mm ASII. It took quite a while to get the carb dialed in. It is extremely sensitive to needle taper/clip position. Main jet not so much. Here's what I ended up with:

Riding at under 1500', temps 45-80.

178 main (stock was 175 on mine - probably ok in warmer temps)
JD red needle, Clip in 3rd position with a shim underneath (about 1/2 a clip change)
38 pilot
air screw 1 turn out
lowered float height (per KTM manual)

I had a rich problem on the bottom as you described. A small change would lean it out too much, thus the clip + shim. Runs great now.

Interesting to see the mixup in carb bores. Mine definitely has a 36 (cast into the carb top). The 36 is fine by me. I'm just a casual trail rider and the trend to ever bigger carbs has always baffled me.

I would have expected the 250s to get 36s and the 300s to get 38s if two sizes were offered.

Do the guys with 36s have the handlebar mounted choke or carb body choke? I am kind of like Neil and am almost happier to have a 36mm but I know that some guys wont be pleased to find out they dont have a 38.

Mine is a SD300 with the 36mm and it had the handlebaar choke (I switched it).

I just hope there is no performance loss with the 36mm . It seems it may be harder to jet right or so it sounds from people.

My 08 ec300 has the 38 and it will lift the wheel whenever I want it in 1,2,3, maybe even 4 th don't remember, but that could be a combination jetting and 2k2 ignition.

**Also wondering why the spec sheets said they came with the 38mm then they show up with 36's .Thats the one thing about gasgas thats irritating, not alot of standardization makes it hard sometimes.

I checked 2 of my shop demo bikes and 1 has a 38mm (handlebar choke) and 1 has a 36mm (choke on carb).

Funny. I rode them both last week and thought that the one with the 36mm was faster but I was thinking it was because the gearing was different on them. Now I need to try the exact same gearing on both and compare.

I am strongly considering pulling the 38mm off "my" 250 and putting the 36mm on it.

Looks like alot of bikes might have been shipped over here without carbs and they had to use what they could find. My 11 300 6dys has a handlebar mounted choke. It came with a 40 pilot. A N1EF needle and a 178 main. The slide is a #7 and does not have a notch. It seems like alot of people are having jetting issues here ... me included! It may help us if we take notice on the # on the slide and if its notched or unnotched though I am not sure how 36 & 38mm play into it yet. I havent looked to see what size mine is. Can someone tell me how to find out? Les Tinous told me to use a 42, an N3EJ from a YZ 250 and a 180 main. This was too lean for me at idle and up to 1/3 throttle. The N3EH and 45 pilot seemed to be real good BUT when I opened the throttle wide open and low rpm the bike gurgles and blubbers like its drowning in fuel until it gets to the mid range then it blast hard! Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm afraid to go any smaller on the main as ringing the bike out hard wide open in open spaces it definitely does not seem rich. Hopefully getting the head cut by RB Designs will fix my issues.

The size should be stamped right on top the carb.

I have a 36mm with the 6.5 notched slide, and it was blubbering pretty bad even after i dropped the needle ,however rode some today and seems alot better than it was for some reason . Only has 3 or 4 hours on it ,but it definetley got better. Dont know if its quite there yet though .

I ordered 2 yz needles yesterday the J & the the W . Well see

Jeffs 250 has the 38mm carb , and has the handlebar choke on it and that thing rips like a mx bike.

Last edited:
I have an 11 EC300 with a CCK needle, #3 clip pos, A/S 1 1/2 turns out, 38PJ and a 175 main. My bike rips, runs crisp, clean, has discoloured the pipe a bit, (has turned it a little yellow), but plug checks show almost a little rich. My buddies identical bike, same year, model, everything. Will not run very good at all with this jetting. :confused: Both bikes have 38mm ASII carbs, the only difference is I got rid of my handlebar choke and put a YZ250 one in. Any ideas? Are these things that different in jetting that they are going to need this specific of jetting?

I toyed with jetting yesterday. Installed a JD kit for a YZ250. I have the 38mm carb.

My bike stock had a 40 pilot, 180 main, and the N1EF. It ran pretty good stock. It had a slight surging when it got hot.

The JD kit is the ticket. The bike gained more bottom end and is extremely crisp and rips up top.

JD Red Needle/ 3rd clip
45 pilot
172 main
AS 1.5 out

If one of you guys wants to try my kit before you buy then let me know.

So Jeff, That toned down the hit alittle? Before your bike would have been a bit much for me in the tight stuff.

Back