2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Chain drive, I'm out.

I would take chain over shaft or belt any day. I've owned all three and still prefer chain. It might take more maintenance but road side repairs are possible, not so with the other two. Look at the posts about failures of the BMW drives and belts on the Ulyssses on ADVR.

I watched the review last week(I think), at least before this thread. I really think this machine would be a lot of fun...I've ridden a couple of older 800cc & 600cc BMWs, but this one seems to have it all. (sigh)...I just couldn't afford the price tag(I still like to pay cash for everything). I guess I could sell some of my other toys...then again:(

Recently, I just watched Ewan McGregor's two adventure bike documentaries, Long Way Round and Long Way Down. Originally, they intended to use KTMs but KTM bailed out at the last minute and BMW stepped up with the GS bikes. In the these two films, the Bimmers seem to be awesome road bikes but kinda like elephants on anything other than asphalt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-0uBcnmE2M

I am getting interested in the adventure bikes and I wanted to learn a little more about them. :)

I think the 1190 is aimed more at the Multistrada than the GS, definitely much less dirt bike than the 990 but most people don't really use them for that anyhow. As soon as my demo 1190 gets here I'll let you know. ;)

chris birch keeps raving about the abilities of the 1190 - but he is paid by them and has the skills we dream of, so maybe not the best review.

Dirt Bike Magazine just tested the a 2007, 2010 and 2013 BMW GS 1200s. The 2013 BMW has the new liquid cooled motor with a different exhaust port and the drive shaft was on the opposite side. When I went to the BMW page that new motor is on the GS1200 but not on the GS 1200 Adventure. The 2013/2014 Adventure on their webpage is the older bike and the older bike costs more but doesn't have the electronically adjusted suspension. Does anyone know why?

Reawakened:D

Got a chance to ride one of these rocket ships, yesterday. Another community member & I took the 1190R and a 2012 BMW GS 800 to the hills, for some mild off-road fun. Both bikes stripped of touring luggage with just our personal choices of small backpacks. I must say, the 1190R IS all I thought it would be. Heavy, powerful, and very rideable. Even with street oriented tires the big 1190R stayed attached to the damaged, unmaintained old forest roads...at speeds that were quite surprising. I did not ride the 1190R off the pavement, but my limited observation says this big beast would be a blast on "real" trails, in the right hands. I will say(from experience) it is very comfortable and stable...even at triple digit speeds. The BMW was set up with more offroad orientation, and the biggest drawback was the lack of excessive power, that the big 1190 has to spare. It was an excellent day in the woods. The only downside to the day...I'm pretty sure I am in need of an adventure bike.

I am getting interested in the adventure bikes and I wanted to learn a little more about them. :)

Have you considered either the Triumph Tiger 800 or if you want the 1200 motor, the Triumph Explorer?

I'm with you, sold my street bike a couple years ago as it was collecting dust in the garage (too much fun in the dirt), but fully plan to get back into street riding when my boys are a little older and I can put them on the back for rides.

KTM and BMW pretty much own the adventure market, but don't discount the Triumph. I doubt I'll go to the 1200 as it's too big for my tastes, but the 800 is an incredibly capable bike. You also get the choice of the standard or XC being more dirt oriented.

My buddy, who made this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvYAcJOx3s, has a Tiger 800 and loves it. You'll see the guys in that video put the 800s through some pretty crazy stuff too - so they're capable (though I'd never do that with a bike I owned...lol).

Anyway, let us know what you end up going with...if you do. It's strange, almost all of the guys I've been riding street/track with for the last ~10 years have switched gears to dirt and sold their street beasts (we all still have dedicated track bikes though :D ). My guess is the pendulum will swing back toward the middle and we'll all have adventure bikes in the next ~5 years...probably as we all approach that 50 mark...lol.

1294440_495542557203719_1298902619_o.jpg

This is my Bike 2013 . I'm going to sell it ,Right now I'm looking at getting a 14 or 15 1200GS

This is my Bike 2013 . I'm going to sell it ,Right now I'm looking at getting a 14 or 15 1200GS

I hope Beemer offers the same color scheme as I think that's one of the best looking ADV bikes on the market. That matte gray/green is frickin' sharp; one of the guys at work rides that bike and I always drool a little when walking by...lol.

Back