2015 ec300r estart

Simmo737

Gold Level Site Supporter
I have 5.5 hrs on my new bike, on grass, sand and beach and east coast hills in the wet.

The bike is better than my 2013 was.

The 2013 was great bike, lacked the slow speed handling of my 2011 but was an overall better bike. The 2013 had a great engine which had more power everywhere than my tricked up 2011 with high comp head. The 2013 shock was good ( better than 2011) but had a "dead" feel and had a habit of kicking on logs and square edges prior to a revalve, but it never felt active. The 2013 was an improvement in finish over my 2011 but still had stupid stuff going on...I will list them.

Stupid kick stand bolt, brakes that couldn't be bled without Jedi mind tricks, rear brake line still eating into swing arm'and cases, rad guards not quite fitting, jungle behind headlight, difficult to get to plug from right hand side due to coil placement, totally unsealed airbox, titanium seat, crap speedo that was too big and broke easy, paint coming of swing arm after 1 hr, suspension valving that was too progressive, oil site glass once again requiring Jedi insight, stupid renthal twin wall wrist wreckers, stickers pealing off after 1 hr etc.

All fixed......Really. Fixed. Like they read this forum or something. Handling included. PLUS....

Billet hubs, better muffler, lighter weight , neater electrics, better bash plate, better sprocket, an electric start that flat out works, more linear engine (even with a yamaha needle so you get its better bottom end....yessss), better fuel cap, variable power valve for the fiddlers or pipe hit freaks , softer clutch pull, better stickers on smaller plastics (especially side number plates) and other stuff I suspect I haven't noticed yet. Edit: it's thinner too, especially across the rads edit: you can pull the whole thing down with an 8mm socket and some hex keys. Edit: big platform grippy steel chunky foot pegs.

The shock is awesome out of the box, you get that nice bladder shock feel...nice
The bike is great low speed like they have moved the Center of gravity a foot lower, the power is very smooth and in very wet conditions the bike just hooks up, in sand whoops the thing just monsters through with two spring rates too low for me and no kicking and heaps of power always there and useable.

I lost the front end once on mud covered rock, I watched everyone else I was riding with loose the front at the same spot and many other places as well except me and the dudes on the 14s and 15s.

I loved my 13 but this thing is even betterer, apology for the fan boy tone, but it's that good. Hope it stays this good

Nice work.
Let's go for that ride we were meant to go on way back when.
So what's the go with your carb? Is it different or still an AS2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an owner of a 2013 and 2014, thanks and no thanks for this report! haha. Now where do I go to get a 2015? :)

Nice work.
Let's go for that ride we were meant to go on way back when.
So what's the go with your carb? Is it different or still an AS2?

Had a nice wet day at Ourimbah with the SMW guys on Sunday, what a gem an 15 mins from my house, I'm keen when you are!

Haven't pulled the carb out but will today, 42p n3cj#3 175 too rich, was only slightly rich in sand.

And sand

Last edited:
Had a nice wet day at Ourimbah with the SMW guys on Sunday, what a gem an 15 mins from my house, I'm keen when you are!

Haven't pulled the carb out but will today, 42p n3cj#3 175 too rich, was only slightly rich in sand.

Was meant to be on that ride but got called away for work!

Ourimbah is my closest riding spot too. Don't know it as well as I'd like too though. I'll let you know when I'm going there next.

Interesting. Did you say it's a screw top? So is it still a PWM model?
Glad to hear you're back on a gasser and loving it!

Not pwm (pwks is pwm is pwkag-s) straight long body pwk which should mean better bottom end due to better head pressure of fuel, the vforce 4 should reduce turbulent flow so whatever signal the engine can make should be less affected by the reeds, all this means a leaner jetting especially the pilot. (And born out by the plug inspections) I just put a 40 in and it's much better, I don't have a 38 at the mo
I was very freakin close to buying an rmx450, but after one ride I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

Wish I hadn't read this.,...anyhoo, I'm happy with my thirteen. We ride ourimbah quite a lot. Often with Jay etc. might see you out there.

I had a ride organised for yesterday but due to kid minding my mate had to pass, I decided to go up to his place and do some testing ( straight out the gate at his place and days of single and open). I have revalved the forks (see suspension section) and replaced the seals and wipers with skf units. The zoke nok seals and especially wipers are rubbish, the cheapest change is kyb nok seals alone, then skf seals and wipers, when you next change seals run the kyb seals with skf wipers ( best combo). I've upped the springs to .46 and 5.6 and get sags of 31/102 I tested for abou two hrs, this is a different bike to my 2013.

Chassis. This thing won't turn with the fork caps flush, I needs to be at the first line and no more than 105 race sag - then it's a laser. It feels smaller than the 13 but turns at high speed like it, but handles low speed technical stuff much better. Same great traction. Softer feel throughout. The best spot for the bars foe me was pos three, best cornering, best feel. It does get a wobble at high speed if your running too little rebound at the rear. This bike is more sensitive to rider position and rewards sit down riding when at pace in flowing single. It generally feels lighter.

Suspension.
Forks:I'm certain they have gone to a softer ics spring, but the rebound is the same old. Ended up at 6 out! A positive note is the skf seals, massive difference (and that's brand new), you can ran much more reb without it getting harsh. I tried the centre bolt on the triple loose and out, take it out! With it loose it still braces the lower triple, with it out it flexes more.... Try it yourself. My valving is good, may need to tighten the float ever so as it isn't timed quite right.

Shock: I ended up with the same sag I started with and 11 comp and 18 rebound - essentially stock and I had some wild swings in setting to get a feel.
The shock is great. Move along nothing to see here.

Motor: I started at 38 n3cj /2 175 - too lean off the crack, flat till the needle. Went to 40p and much better. Checked the pv, 1.5 out, sort of a lull until you cracked it but smooth. Went to 1.8ish - wooshka! linear rocket ship with the yammy needle, just dial on the fear! More power than the 13 -wow. Lugs great.

Niggles - kick starter fouls the frame guard so you have to cut it for it to return - dumb. Brake line fouls the speedo and starts eating it - move it to the right. Again dumb. I hate the light switch. Super dumb. New big pegs sometimes hang up after a get off.

Other Bits: brakes are unreal. I did the jody Wiesel punish them method to brake them in. Hard stop in second gear ten times with 30s cooling between each. It works. Seat is like a seat now. The Pwk as 1 drinks more ( I've lost 20k)
Stickers are holding up. Starter hasn't missed a beat.

Generally this is a great bike, it handles unreal and has more torquey and smoother power and the shock is fantastic and really balances the bike. The forks are unreal when valved, and are an easier fix with the relief taper from the factory. If only gasgas would spec their own valving and skf seals from marzocchi, but I suspect it's a price thing. There is no way a human test rider would spec that rebound. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

Back