Bolts falling off everywhere!!!!

fletchman45

OK I finally got to take my bike out for more then 10 minutes. But lets first recap the first 10 minutes. Bike is a 2012 300 . First ten minutes equal gas tank bolt on top. Gonzo. Oh well I called Halls and they sent me one right away. Was a pain to get in and didn't go very nicely but it is now blue loctited in place. Wait lets recap to before the ten minutes ride. Went to take off on new bright new shiny bike. Oh crap no rear brakes!! Got off bike and the rear brake rotor was soaked with oil!! Looked at my trailer as I just brought the bike home. Looks like the Spanish folks must have soaked the crap out of the air filter and it leaked out and while driving went all over the rotor thus destroying my newly installed EBC semi metallic pads. Called Halls (a great dealer!) and they sent me a new set of pads. Ok. Thought I read somewhere about loose kickstand bolts. OK I thought I have oh 10 to 30 minutes just putzin around I will check it. LOOSE!! Tightened her real good. Rode for app 1 hour, sidestand bolt loose and of course no tools.......... Made it work to get back................ Now engine feels to have vibration...................Loose motor mount??????????? My god less then a hour and a half?????????????? Coming off a BULLET proof Husky 2-stroke with NO quirks.......... My 2005 Gas Gas NEVER did anything wrong and is still running perfect on it's original piston!!!! Now for the good of the hour and a half ride. Ergos absolutely sweet and perfect for me even at a short 5 foot 7!!!! Seat very very hard but should stand up anyways!! Handling. Typical Gas Gas. Sweet. Stable as a locomotive and No head shake (I am a pretty fast A rider) Suspension I will not rate at all until broke in and adjusted as I have not touched anything yet. I rode it now so I have to deal with any issues or lose my A_ _!!!! Immediately comfortable on the bike and handles so you can feel confident!!! May be heavy on the scales but this chassis does not know it! More updates next weekend. My question is WTF do I have to remove and loctite everything???????????? Any fix for that stupid kickstand bolt as I like the kickstand but I sure fear that bolt coming out and derailing chain or worse lock the rear tire and send you for the trees!! Need to work out a few bugs, but should be a solid!! (Much better feeling the 11 and prior bikes (will have a 2011 six day 250 for direct comparison next weekend) I think with all the subframe failures. I am scared. Gas Gas should give all 2012 owners the updated aluminum pieces at no cost or dealer costs. I am going to be positive!! Forgot to mention. THIS ENGINE ROCKS!!! Stock jetting and I havn't even leaned it out 1 clip yet!!! Gobs of torque. Smooth powerful and a tish pipey all at once!! Easy to start and a real workhorse!! Very very difficult to stall if even possible! Clutch pull? What clutch pull. Smooth as butter!!! Not sure if my motor mounts are now loose to or what? Any take??

Wish I could shed so lite for you but mine was a 10 and other than the kickstand bolt and one bolt on the exhaust it was rock solid. I have no boubt you will get it sorted. Sad to say but I'm afraid our solid Husky days are behind us. I really think the GG bikes are still built very well with just a few small things needing attention. Congrats and enjoy.

Wish I could shed so lite for you but mine was a 10 and other than the kickstand bolt and one bolt on the exhaust it was rock solid. I have no boubt you will get it sorted. Sad to say but I'm afraid our solid Husky days are behind us. I really think the GG bikes are still built very well with just a few small things needing attention. Congrats and enjoy.
Yea I think you are right. Will sort a few little bugs out!! Yep I think the good Husky days are done. Sad after 25 plus Husky's. But if it is at all like a ktm I won't ride it even if for free!! Thanks

Yea I think you are right. Will sort a few little bugs out!! Yep I think the good Husky days are done. Sad after 25 plus Husky's. But if it is at all like a ktm I won't ride it even if for free!! Thanks

My Husaberg is like a KTM and I'm liking it.....;)

I had to tighten my kickstand bolt but other than that, my 2011 300 has been rock solid as well. It turns better than any bike that I have ever ridden and the motor is a firebreather.The best bike that I have ever owned.;):D

I have a 2012 300. I have had NO bolts come loose.

I know we all think that if we have a brand new bike it is going to be the best with out any prep. I don't believe that. These bikes are machines made out of metal and aluminum and we push them hard..... They require maintenance and upkeeping. I always check all bolts prior to any ride.

One thing I have done is remove all bolts engine related bolts and reinstalled with Honda Anti-Seeze. This is great stuff and will make things easy for me down the road and will also prevent any bolts from rust as well.

Then depending on all other bolts / screws and connectors I have removed and reinstalled using Blue or Red Loctite.

And the other main thing I do is remove the phillips screws that hold the Carb float bowl (4 screws) and the top access cover (2 screws) and replace them with stainless steel allen head screws!!! Trust me these are a lot easier to remove then a phillips that won't come loose and you strip the head trying to loosen it.

I realized Saturday the right side handguard bolt was missing. I plan to double check the whole bike in my down time now.

It's not just the bolts, it's the screws that are loose as well ... most of them on the rider ;)

Kidding, only kidding. Still, I could have opened up a plastic shop last Monday and sold second hand Yamaha and KTM plastic by the truckload.

Its always necessary to check/prep a new machine regardless of brand bc you just don't know if it was assembled on a Friday and if there was a extra long happy hour for the factory employees the night before.:eek:

That being said, even with constant maintenance I've seen crazy stuff happen during races. I've never had a problem with my GG, but on other bikes at certain times I've had weird things on the bike come loose during races that I knew were tight the night before. Its like your bike trailer has a bunch of little gremlins in it or something........;););)

All making sense. Will red loctite the sidestand and check other bolts. Further testing this weekend!!!!! I can't wait!! Think this thing will be pretty darn sweet when dialed an d I am perhaps a little Husky brainwashed after 20 plus years!!! One thing is for certain and a major plus.... KTM does not own Gas Gas!!!!

I Always Nut & bolt a new bike. Always Put a wrench on everything. I did lose the front tank bolt on my 12' gasser and I have been through a few side stand bolts. I still need to tear the gasser down and relube everything.

Shoot when I buy a used bike I tear it down completely before riding it. Its just piece of mind.

Bolts vibrate loose at times, especially on new bikes. Ride, smile, wrench, repeat...:D

Frame pivot was COMPLETELY dry on my bike, would have self destructed. Buddy's wasn't much better. These need tear down, service, and build up before riding.

Frame pivot was COMPLETELY dry on my bike, would have self destructed. Buddy's wasn't much better. These need tear down, service, and build up before riding.

good to know, mine will get torn down this week for lube/loctite/inspection. I only have 15hrs on it:( Still hesitant to ride it on gnarly stuff because of the subframe:eek:

Resprung over the winter and its MUCH better now, dialed it in a bit more Sunday, begs to be ridden hard but the dang sub scares the heck outta me.

the engineer that designed the side stand pivot and plastic sub better be fired or hanged. I just wish the motor and trans were in my YZ chassis. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the gasser motor and trans. I still cant bring myself to sell the YZ because I know sooner than later I will be on a multi week wait for gasser subframe parts. :mad:

Yeah, I think GG needs some major changes in several areas.

Whats your take on the YZ250 compared to the GG? '06+ with SSS fork? I found a nice '06 completely decked out, 18" wheel and even an NJ title with only 60hrs.

Some Husaberg's also have plastic sub frames. One guy I ride with has a 390 and he shows that bike no mercy.

Completely different design. Polymer in itself is not a bad thing, its in the specific compound and deisgn. In fact I would expect a proper polymer design to be better, as it should allow a small amount of flex in a crash, not bend, and certainly not break.

Yeah, I think GG needs some major changes in several areas.

Whats your take on the YZ250 compared to the GG? '06+ with SSS fork? I found a nice '06 completely decked out, 18" wheel and even an NJ title with only 60hrs.

I love my YZ, its an 08 with SSS Kyb. I had a pro action revalve and with the new piston in the rear its sweet(i was getting a lot of fade with the stock setup, esp on whooped out HS courses), great rebound control, forks are good but still a tad harsh in really rough creeks, faster pace helps. I retarded the timing two degrees, I run 13/50 and a gnarly. 18" rear with a S12 in winter and Mich trials in summer. I have a Rekluse zstart Pro and wiseco billet basket. Other than some bearings here and there its been rock solid, no DNF's due to mechanicals. We ride in a LOT of mud, rain etc so steering head bearings and wheel bearings are the normal consumables. The motor is great, will lug down, not like the GG300, but still very tractorable, mid and upper hit is good. I run the 3 gal IMS tank, skids etc, considerably lighter than the GG.

Very durable bikes, I dont even run rad braces and they are still straight, subframe is perfect, hell i just swapped out the stock rear fender last month. It has 20+ HS races on it.

Only thing it really needs is the Squish band reworked.

Riding position is a little different than the GG. You have to stay further up on the tank sitting and over the bars more standing. Doesnt carve in the tight ST as well as GG but still very good. GG needs a more neutral stance as I am sure you know very well.

Just like any bike it takes some tweeking but for a MX bike they make a great woods platform.
they definitely look dated compared to the new GG/Beta/Katooms

IMG_1579 by Rider_wv, on Flickr

You have that set up very nice for woods and hare scrambles!

thanks, its still missing hanguards, i swapped the twinwalls off the GG onto it and put my Cycras and Flexx bars on the GG, still need guards for YZ.

I really cant complain at all about the YZ, in all the trail riding and HS races its done it never had an issue during a race, I broke a clutch cable(pre rekluse) on a trail ride and had the rear master cyl go out on a ride...neither cut the ride short. :D Its only on its second top end too. The 18" rear is nice especially with a 140 knob on there, the trials tire is fun too.

I really hope I have as much good luck with the GG, did i mention how much I love the 300 motor. The Magura clutch is buttery smooth too.

Back