Case gasket sealant?

Just rebuilt my 98 ec250. And she is sucking in gearcase oil into crank case. Thought it might be been bad crank seal. I accidentally installed a little crooked. Replaced it, made a press bushing on lathe to press in perfectly flat using crank nut. So not it now. But should I have used sealant on the case halve gasket? There's a real thin section of gasket under reeds between crank and gear cluster. I'm assuming she is leaking through there. Going to have to pull out again today. Ugh. Any tips?

No, never sealant always dry. You can use some spray adhesive to hold it in place.
Was it the correct gasket? There were some changes between early and late crankcases and some dodgy gasket companies sell anything.

Was a comedic kit. Came with 2 case gaskets. I assumed thickness. I put the similar one in. But upon taking apart today I seen the counterbalance shaft hole was open to intake port. Just got all back in bike and bam. Not smokin like the wildfires here in BC!!!! And yes I did trim the gasket that extended into the intake port. I did not on this gasket.

Attachments

• 2A705CDF-D792-4457-9A25-24EA641A8351.jpg
    2A705CDF-D792-4457-9A25-24EA641A8351.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 20
I got the shits with all the aftermarket crap ones and made my own when GG was on their last hiatus.
Some of them like that one you posted are a terrible fit.

I have always used Yamabond 4 or the Hondabond equivelant and never had a problem.

Back