Debating on purchasing my first gasgas

Bryk

In the past and currently I ride MX style bikes. Honda Cr250 to be exact.
I ride mainly woods and single track but do have the occasional mess around at the local track day.
I found a 2014 xc250e that has 14hrs on the entire bike for sale locally. After reading up on the gassers it seems like a great bike and one I would enjoy. Not to mention I think I'd be getting a very good deal on it.
I understand the responses may be a bit biased but what does everyone tend to think of the xc250s? Do you think it would be a good move going to this bike from mx style? Also, where does everyone purchase parts and how do parts prices compare to Japanese bikes? There are no dealers nearby me and the bikes are not popular around here.
Also, what would you value a mint 2014 xc250e at? (I'm having a difficult time finding values). Thanks for the help and recommendations. Hopefully I'll be back posting pictures of my new gasgas. :)

I made almost the same move you are considering.
I had been riding a somewhat woods converted 2007 CR250 that I owned since new, when I decided to get a newer and more suited offroad bike.

I love my 2014 xc300re! It really did change my game in the woods. Smoother power that goes much lower on the tach, much more compliant suspension, and generally more forgiving/easier to ride in the tight stuff.
It's not really a competitive mx bike, but then.... neither was my cr250 after all the woods changes I made. It'd be fine for playtime on an mx track.

Parts haven't been too difficult to get for me. Most of the consumables either cross over to common bikes, or are available online. There are lists that users here have put together on which parts cross over, along with the rest of the piles of helpful info on here. The level of support and info on this forum is astounding. IMO this surpasses online p2p support of almost any other bike, since this forum is not bogged down with all the bs posts found at the big forums.

I hesitate to speak on the value of that particular bike, since markets vary alot from region to region, but they tend to lose initial value quickly once they leave the dealer floor. This can make a lightly used Gasgas a great bargain!

I am biased but as a GasGasaholic that was converted in 2012 i have owned over 60 dirt bikes in my life time . OK so I am getting old, and really enjoying the finer things in life . If you are a woods rider and can get a great deal on the bike what do you have to loose ? Buy it and see for yourself what it is about these Woods Wonders that converted me into a Gasgasaholic . :D As far as parts most are a few days away via UPS and one of the stronger dealers . Ron Overstreet and the new owners are doing a great job in the states setting up new dealers . I purchased a real nice 2014 200 for 5k this year and my 2015 300 new was 8k not counting the extras I put onto it . I saw that Bills out in Oregon has a 2014 250 race super nice for sale ? If you are looking for a bike that has support look no more because this forum is for real as far as support goes . Good luck with your new bike you will love it !

For parts - a good dealer who has a large stock of parts is Hall's Cycle in Springfield, Illinois.

And using my superpowers as webmaster - I can see that they are not too far from you.. ;-)

I would budget to have the head squish and compression dialed in by RB-Designs - the motor will run much cleaner after...

...and don't be put off by a rough transition from the bottom to mid - the stock jetting (n1ef needle) sucks and many here can help you with suggestions there....

jeff

Be careful. You'll get one then decide they are so good you'll want more.

I got mine a year ago and I fell in love with them. Amazing bikes. We've now sold off most of our other bikes and will be exclusively GasGas here at my house.

I have been riding gasgas sense 1996 on trials started riding gasgas eunderos in 1997 have hab a bunch in between now I personally have 6 eundero and 1 trials bike for parts I buy up old stock from small shops and watch eBay and use halls also but they don't brake that often I call them 3 stokes they really put the power to the ground all I can say is they work for me GASGAS FOR LIFE

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.
A few mentioned trials.. Thats another thing I've never tried but would really like to. Things like that just are not big in Indiana...everyone is just into track riding and it's kind of a bummer.

I'll be seeing y'all around the forums! Thanks again for everything.

Gas Gas enduro is a great bike, I am not biased to any brand I actually try to change brands every time I get a new bike. Ive had Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, ktm, gas gas, beta, fantic nothing wrong with a gas gas now they are back up and running.

In the past and currently I ride MX style bikes. Honda Cr250 to be exact.
I ride mainly woods and single track but do have the occasional mess around at the local track day.
I found a 2014 xc250e that has 14hrs on the entire bike for sale locally. After reading up on the gassers it seems like a great bike and one I would enjoy. Not to mention I think I'd be getting a very good deal on it.
I understand the responses may be a bit biased but what does everyone tend to think of the xc250s? Do you think it would be a good move going to this bike from mx style? Also, where does everyone purchase parts and how do parts prices compare to Japanese bikes? There are no dealers nearby me and the bikes are not popular around here.
Also, what would you value a mint 2014 xc250e at? (I'm having a difficult time finding values). Thanks for the help and recommendations. Hopefully I'll be back posting pictures of my new gasgas. :)

I had a 2001 CR250 before moving to the GasGas and you will find the feel of the GasGas very familiar, unlike some other choices.

Unbiased opinion, parts aren't hard to get I only had a problem once and that was because of a whole shortage across the US. Now that the new owners are building bikes the parts are easy to find. As for cost of parts you will always pay full price so keep that in mind. I don't think it's as bad as some street bikes but they are definitely more expensive then a jap bike.

Setup right they are good bikes but you will need to do setup to them and maintenance. The forum is extremely helpful with this.

Value of the bikes does drop significantly once they leave the showroom as others have said. I sold my 12 for 3500 over the summer. So anywhere from 4K to 5k is probably about right for a 14 especially with so little hours.

Good luck with it if you buy it!!

While I couldn't speak specifically in regards to the 250, I wouldn't hesitate to by another gas gas. I have had my 2011 EC 300 since 2011. I did the top end with a piston and gasket set from *i think* north Tahoe Motorsports off of ebay. Other than sprockets, I have not needed another gas gas specific part. The machine has been anvil reliable. The only time it has left me stranded is when I screwed up the jetting and ran out of gas. I just swapped the front end with that of a 2008 YZ 250. While I now have added a 4T to the stable I still ride the gas gas 50% of the time.

Wait. Now that I think of it I did have to replace the clutch and brake lever. The pivot area on both of them had been worn out. I didn't have any trouble getting the parts.

You will find the 250 down on power compared to your Honda. I would say the 300 is more inline with the Honda 250 power wise, and even then still may not feel as strong as your Honda.

The Honda Showa suspension is top notch. The Zooks and Reiger are not as nice in my humble opinion. I like the zooks for the most part, but the reiger lacks adjustability and is a bit harsh. It is an enduro bike, not an aggressive MX/hare scramble bike and will be much heavier, especially with electric start.

If I were racing hare scramble, I would pick the Honda, if I were doing nasty enduro, I would pick the Gasser.

I'm in the same boat. I posted a question but really am torn. I work for KTM but have been shopping others such as Gas Gas, Beta ,& Sherco for well over a year.
Really tough to decipher what is quality if you've never rode any of the brands.
Good luck, Gassers seem legit imo!

Ghost

Back