Dune climb.

Are you using a paddle? I'm guessing by the rest of the terrain you aren't. I Have the Little Sahara dunes and St. Anthony Idaho dunes within 3hrs of me so I go quite often, but I haven't had the 300 out there yet. I'm curious how it will do.

No paddle.
You are right. the rest of the terrain does not allow it.
But with a paddle i'm sure i would have made it.
Or if it was early morning or late afternoon. The sand was hot and dry. Very tough to get up when its like that.

Dunes are currently very loose, like riding up a huge heap of baby powder! I also failed on my attempt on my EC300, but I must confess, I'm not overly keen on wringing a bike's neck when the conditions aren't ideal, so until it rains properly I will give it a good one off 70% effort and leave it be..

Not me.
I have declared war on that dune.
I'm even pondering these tires:
michelin-starcross-sand-4-tires.jpg

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-starcross-sand-4
But i don't think you get them in an 18"
:(

Well you wouldn't find my swaping tyres every time i decide to ride some sand. Too much effort.:D

Not me.
I have declared war on that dune.

LOL - good couple attempts to crest that thing :D

I haven't ridden sand before; what's your air box look like after being out there...like a beach was imported? My buddy and I joke with each other that the dunes are where 2-strokes go to die.

Looking forward to episode 2 :cool:

Liv2day, I don't think the dunes near me or the Oregon dunes for that matter are very dusty. I have trail rides that require a filter change after a few hours sometimes but I can go a weekend in the dunes without a problem. Although the GasGas air box might tell a different story once I finally get out there. :)

I have heard a lot of people say that sand dunes ruin bikes, but that hasn't been my experience with my bikes or the people I ride with. I just think there is more of a party culture out there and some of those people might be a little less likely to take care of there stuff. That's just my theory though. If I had no regard for the care and maintenance of of my bike I could easily destroy it in any terrain. :)

If people cleaned their bikes after a sand trip, like they'd clean a boat after the salt water...I'd rather deal with sand. I used run my Bronco in the sand, and rarely had any issues. Where as others would go through U-joints, axle seals, etc. Extra grease before the sand, & thorough cleaning after equals good fun, and less headaches.

I haven't ridden sand before; what's your air box look like after being out there...like a beach was imported? My buddy and I joke with each other that the dunes are where 2-strokes go to die.

Those dunes are the closest place to ride in our area and are an extremely popular riding place. The biggest issue is that they are not beach sand dunes, but massive man made piles of this baby powder type gold mining waste, which includes traces of cyanide residue used in the gold processing. I personally have been riding these mining dunes for many many years with absolutely zero negative impact on any bike life, be it 2T or 4T.
The key to successfully riding this harsh environment continually is maintenance, as per any condition, a clean, properly oiled air filter with a nice run of LM grease around the sealing face is most important, I also do not like oiling the filter too long before a ride, but personally prefer doing this only the day before we ride. I also immediately toss out any oem air filter when getting a new bike and chuck in Twin Air ones.
The other critical thing is to rinse off the bike, soap it down and wash & rinse again straight after a ride, this I strictly adhere to, and I do not use a high pressure washer for this so as to minimize seal and bearing contamination.
Based on this maintenance we have enjoyed many years of trouble free fun on these dunes!

The biggest issue is that they are not beach sand dunes, but massive man made piles of this baby powder type gold mining waste, which includes traces of cyanide residue used in the gold processing. I personally have been riding these mining dunes for many many years with absolutely zero negative impact on any bike life, be it 2T or 4T.

Wow, had no idea the mining process left something like that :eek: The surrounding area looks like it's pretty heavily forested; does it change to dirt/rocks where the trees start?

The cyanide thing would bother me a bit - wouldn't want to breathe that stuff in when ripping around (no offense intended, just a comment - same thing goes for sand riding :D ).

When we head over to China Hat in central OR, I always pack an extra filter because of the dust - too easy to starve the motor of good air otherwise.

Looks like a really cool place to ride :cool:

Correct, we spend around 10% - 15% of our actual riding on the dunes, as apart from ripping it up on the soft sand for a while there's not much else to do on them, so we have our typical routes which go out past the trees, there are a lot more rocky and technical places to ride then, so we get a great mix. We can do anything from 25 kms in a more central area right up to 180 kms which takes us through several close towns.

The traces of cyanide and what ever other chemicals might be around are not that much of a problem for the couple of hours or minutes we spend riding in these dunes, certainly not as bad as actually living in the closest built up suburbs with the wind continually blowing this fine dust everywhere, the mines do take measures to reduce this by having an irrigation system which is supposed to keep the top layer damp and minimize the wind erosion (bikes don't help with this).
Sadly, being Africa, these sprinklers are mostly in a terrible state of disrepair and very few are left that actually work. They also embarked on an exercise a number of years ago where they planted some hardy vegetation on the dunes which worked very well in preventing the wind erosion, but the truth of the matter is that the East Rand region in South Africa is known for being a high respiratory problem area. Not serious stuff, just typical allergies, sniffles, sinusitus, etc. Something we locals are accustomed to!
With the newer efficient mining methods, and the low value of our currency it is now extremely profitable to rework this waste for the gold dust traces left in it from old school methods so one by one our dunes are being leveled off and there will come the time when they're all but gone. I will dig up some photos of the areas and post them.

Aha!
I'm ready for round 2
My bike was jetted incorectly.
Went down from 172/42 to 165/40 (still waiting for my 38 pilot)
But the little 200 is pulling properly now. :D

For good measure, as plan B, i bought an EC250 too on which i am mounting the EC300 topend.

Bring it on sand dune!!!!

Aha!
I'm ready for round 2
My bike was jetted incorectly.
Went down from 172/42 to 165/40 (still waiting for my 38 pilot)
But the little 200 is pulling properly now. :D

For good measure, as plan B, i bought an EC250 too on which i am mounting the EC300 topend.

Bring it on sand dune!!!!

And the rains have started which means a lot less dust and 300% more traction!
I might just join you..

What you mean "might" join?
I might get lost and mauled by a lion, or trampled by an elephant.
I want to try that one where we ran out of feul too.
:D

What you mean "might" join?
I might get lost and mauled by a lion, or trampled by an elephant.
I want to try that one where we ran out of feul too.
:D

Think you got more chances of getting ambushed by illegal miners.:D

Back