Flame out on 06 fse 450

m555

Hi im having a problem with my 06 fse450. When im exiting slow corners my bike is dying, i have played around with the air screw, put a new spark plug and it's still had no effect. Any advice would be appreciated as i'm getting to the point where it's time to get rid of it.

Try checking that you are running on the "real" map and not the one to pass emmisions testing in various parts of the world first. Tell tale signs are: erratic idle and the exhaust glowing red where it exits the head. The real map is programmed buy unplugging a wire under the tank which grounds a connector on the ECU. If this is ok and the spark plug is known to be good or new, take a look at the fuel system: Make sure the filter on the fuel pump (bag like thing in the bottom of the tank) is clear. Check the pipe between the fuel pump and the regulator inside the tank is ok (modern high ethanol gas rots it). Make sure the fuel lines are sound and the filter is clear in the top of the injector. The filter is non-removable and is very fine and difficult to see. If it has black bits or black goo in it, that is the inside of the fuel hoses rotting away so time to change them. The injector can be cleaned with sonic or carb cleaner and a lot of perseverance.
Hope that helps

Thanks QUI-GON

By the wire under the tank do you mean the blue/yellow wire? I recently replaced one of the fuel lines and after reading your post pulled the injector out and sure enough if was full of hose(it looked like cracked pepper in my hand) so i'm gonna get that cleaned monday and replace the other hose. I also have pulled the silencer apart to repack and have read about removing the caps off the inner pipe, does this give more power or just more noise?

Clean all of your sensors and put them back together with dielectric grease. I had a similar situation and it worked brilliantly and cost me about $5 and took 30mins.

It could well be poor electrical sensor connections and possibly a bad coil connection. The diagnostic software may or may not show these faults..if you have it look for open or short circuit errors as these are more likely to be wiring faults as 450GASGAS suggested. Also check the fuel load as I had an ECU sent to me with it set as the default for the lean map which made it almost impossible to start. I could only assume the real setting had got corrupted and the ECU reverted to factory defaults. All this of course after you cleaned out the injector. I had the same problem last year and ended up standing the injector inlet side down carb cleaner to wash the stuff out.
With regard to the silencer I changed the cap to a USFS spark arrestor one that Nick supplied which made little difference to the low end or off idle situations. It makes a lot more noise and seems more free revving now. I added 10 to the fuel load setting which seems to work just fine.

I've got a feeling its the injector as i've owned the bike since new and i only been having problem over the last few months. It has always ran good and will always keep up with a husky 511 on beach drags. I dont own any of the software but i believe ducati dealers can change the trim( dont have any GASGAS dealers close anymore) , so if i cut the caps of in the muffler i'll probably have to get it trimmed.The bike starts easy and runs fine on fast corners and in general. So im thinking when i come to slow corners and the bikes revs slow the muck in the injector is blocking the flow as opposed to higher in the revs there is a lot more fuel pushing through the injector and i notice the blockage less. Does that sound like im on the right track?

Well i got the injector cleaned and put it back together. I took the bike out on the weekend and it ran good for a while but then started doing the same thing. So i rang the new and only Gasgas dealer for South Australia hoping he would have the software for my bike but he doesnt which i can understand as he has only just started selling them. He said it was probably fuel pressure so i guess i'll get that checked. Does anyone know what the pressure should be? I will also take the pump out the tank and clean the filter again.
Here's hoping

From memory the regulator dumps at 3 bar. It is inside the tank on the fuel pump module. You should be able to see fuel dumping from it if you look into the tank. Its easy to check that with a clear Clarke tank but even with the black oem one with the aid of a lamp you should be able to see the disturbance in the tank. It should be from the front left side close to the centre. Check to make sure that it isn't coming from the short pipe that connects the fuel pump to the back of the filter/regulator assembly. The one in mine hardened due to the crap they add to gas these days and eventually split. If your bike is equipped with the later 06 and on instrument panel, there is a low fuel pressure warning indicator which is often mistaken for a low fuel level indicator. If you are in any doubt pull the lot and take a look. Sounds like you are homing in on it though. You might take another look at the injector in case it got clogged up from something in the pipe you missed.

Sorry only just seen your reply.
I took the bike to the old GASGAS dealer who still had the software, they hooked it up but the bike would not comunicate with the computer. They tried 3 different computers and nothing, while it was there they checked fuel pressure and pressure tested the cooling system all was ok and they have suggested using the hotter spark plug(cr7e). Just before i took it down i serviced all my brakes and found that the rear spring wasn't returning so i turned the spring around and it's working much better. This got me thinking that maybe in slow corners the brake was sticking on causing it to stall. Im going to take it out this weekend to see if it has made a difference and also try the hotter spark plug.

Back