FMF Powercore 2.1 shortening

Gez

I thought I'd document a little project I just finished. I'm well aware that it will not have any effect on performance or sound but I went ahead and did it anyway.
Step 1:
Pull the silencer apart, remove packing and clean everything the same as if you were repacking it. Remove the end cap by drilling the rivets out.
I worked out that 65mm would be as much as I could remove without having to go to 1 mount for the silencer.
20201103-142027.jpg

Step 2:
Cut the end off the can.
Mark out where the new rivets will go, use the end cap and the offcut to help get them in the right spot. Drill new 5.5mm holes to accept the rivets.
20201103-152907.jpg

Step 3:
Take the core that connects the tip to the stinger, grind the tip off the core (has 3 small spot welds). Remove the tip. Then you need to cut 65mm off the core, thus shortening the core and it will fit the can. Tack weld the tip back onto the core, be careful here its incredibly thin steel.
20201103-152917.jpg

Step 4:
Time to re-assemble, rivet the end cap back on with the little plates.
Repack your silencer as normal.

Should look something like this, I went and purchased the ridiculously expensive FMF sticker to finish the job.
20201114-153215.jpg

Hope this helps someone, I sorta just felt my way through it.

Thanks Doc, I missed getting a photo of the core with the tip on it but I think you can still follow the steps

I have read somewhere that the longer the can is the more spooge you will get...
So what you say sounds plausible to me.

On that note:
I rode slow rocks on saturday, 30deg c with a 42 Pj and it still didnt sponge. This time last year it would be on the swingarm after 20mins.

Back