For the iPhone users, what GPS app do you use?

shang

In the past I had good luck with Neotreks for tracking my rides and finding my way to trails and general exploring. Not to mention getting me back to the truck when I get lost. It works offline if you download the regional maps you need ahead of time. It has recently been replaced by OnX Roam, and that has been a little flaky on my phone.

Anyone using some awesome iPhone GPS app?

I used Orux when I had an android phone and heard about PDF Maps (for Android/Apple) by Avenza when switching to an iPhone. I'm pretty sold on PDF Maps, much easier and streamlined. You can use the map store built in to the app to find maps that cover your current location or at a desired destination (need cell service to browse store and/or download). Some are free, some cost up to $10. In Montana, a company called MontanaGPS reproduces a lot of Forest Service and BLM maps which are almost strictly what I use. Once you hit the trail you can begin recording (with or without cell service) your ride using your iPhone/android's on board GPS. At the end of the ride you can click on your recorded routes (the yellow line in the first picture) and look at the stats (second picture).

qe8RqMf.jpg
JaE61Gs.jpg

I've used Galileo. It was about $5 to buy from the App Store. Seems to work well. Works offline with GPS also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do these apps store the background maps on your phone or does the phone download them as they need them?

reason i ask is if i use the phone data cell connection the battery runs out pretty quickly (and it is quite costly) and i would rather be able to call for help if i need it than record a route. I would however like to be able to check where i am on a map from time to time to try and link u sections and a good background map (or google earth) would be nice

I really like the Trimble Outdoors GPS app. Works really well and easy to use. I use to use Back Country Navigator and it does a good job as well.

do these apps store the background maps on your phone or does the phone download them as they need them?

reason i ask is if i use the phone data cell connection the battery runs out pretty quickly (and it is quite costly) and i would rather be able to call for help if i need it than record a route. I would however like to be able to check where i am on a map from time to time to try and link u sections and a good background map (or google earth) would be nice

I think it depends on the app and how you are using it. The ones I have used work both ways. You can download the region you need if you are going to be in an area without service. I usually download and store the map on the phone. The gps is a little hard on the battery, but seems like it's getting better all the time.

I think it depends on the app and how you are using it. The ones I have used work both ways. You can download the region you need if you are going to be in an area without service. I usually download and store the map on the phone. The gps is a little hard on the battery, but seems like it's getting better all the time.

Seems like my battery last longer in airplane mode. It is when the data/4G is switched on, and it has to keep hunting for service it drains the battery.

Galileo has three modes. Wifi, Cell/Wifi and offline. You can download the maps when on wifi then you only need GPS to use it in the offline mode. It will also run in the background once the screen locks on the phone.

I use gps motionx which can download maps while you have wifi and then they are there when your out on the trail.

Be sure to download to the highest zoom level you want. Also if you have an estart it is super simple to charge the phone off the bike while you ride.

If you dont have an estart you can carry a backup powerpack or two and zip tie them somewhere handy behind the mask to extend the run time of the phone

Back