Gas Gas 250 EC Reeds

smithy919

I've got a Uk Gas Gas 250 EC Enduro 2008. I've started getting tickover, low speed run on issues and I'm trying to resolve. So I've had some suggestions and followed advice. Changed the exhaust packing, changed the air filter, cleaned the carb, checked that the petrol cap is breathing.
Whilst the carb has been off I've removed the reeds and checked for wear and tear.
I've got vforce 3. All the reeds have no apparent sign of wear.
Looking at the reeds up against a good light I can see a very small gaps. One of the reeds has some honeycomb appearance.
I've received some conflicting advice. Some say if there is any light then they must be replaced, other say if the gap is small, less then 1mm then it should be ok.
Looking on YouTube, Ive seen some video on replacing reeds and even the news ones up against a light show some gaps.
I'm not keen on spending $100 and find out that the new reeds have some gaps and I've still got my low speed/tickover issues.
Any advice much appreciated.

Reeds wear out even if they look good. I have a 2004 with Boyesen reeds and I replaced them when the still looked great, but the improvement in performance was noticeable.

If you have never changed the reeds on the 2008, I would say it was over due.

If cost is a concern, you can sometimes flip the reeds over and they will seal better.

Last edited:
Reeds wear out even if they look good. I have a 2004 with Boyesen reeds and I replaced them when the still looked great, but the improvement in performance was noticeable.

If you have never changed the reeds on the 2008, I would say it was over due.

I did the same on my '01 XC 200. My old (Boyesen) reeds looked fine, but the new reeds made it run a lot smoother on the bottom end.

RB

Back