GasGas scrub

gasgasman

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is how you scrub on a GasGas!
Marc Sola
1534283_846185955420844_6240768279688635355_n.jpg

Holy #$@$

I've experience something like that in the past, though my bike was going one direction and I was going another...LOL.

Awesome capture :cool:

And probably an ignorant question...but why's it called a scrub?

Holy #$@$

I've experience something like that in the past, though my bike was going one direction and I was going another...LOL.

Awesome capture :cool:

And probably an ignorant question...but why's it called a scrub?

The scrub is short for the Bubba Scrub, named after the technique pioneered by James Bubba Stewart.

The scrub is a technique to lay the bike down as it leaves the face of a jump. By laying it down on take-off, it changes the weight distribution and allows for a lower trajectory. A bike goes faster on the ground with the power on, than sailing through the air.

And just cause I know what it does, doesn't mean I can do it! Tried a couples times, survived some near crashes, and decided my motocrossing days are long past.

Scrub is a technique used to scrub distance off a jump as stated above. But i am pretty sire people have been scrubbing jumps since way before James Stewart. He just seems to do it better than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just cause I know what it does, doesn't mean I can do it! Tried a couples times, survived some near crashes, and decided my motocrossing days are long past.

Ahh...thanks for the info; now I remember reading that somewhere.

And yeah, I'll stick to the trails and little jumps...that flying through the air is for the youngins...LOL.

Scrub is a technique used to scrub distance off a jump as stated above. But i am pretty sire people have been scrubbing jumps since way before James Stewart. He just seems to do it better than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure some guy, somewhere may have figured out the scrub prior to JS7, but James is rightly credited as the pioneer of the technique ...

I've been paying attention to US pro motocross since the early '80s ... still mourning the loss of 'Motocross' magazine. Not MXA, but it's sister publication, that was dedicated to the riders and lifestyle of motocross racing. I believe it stopped publication in the 1990's ...

I digress ... Anyway ...

Prior to JS7 entering the pro ranks in the 2002-03 timeframe, the scrub was not a common technique in pro MX. I don't know how or when JS7 figured out how to scrub, but him doing it in the pro ranks was a pioneering move on his part. Once he showed it, people started talking about it, and all the other pros figured out how to do it.

All else aside, that can't be taken away from him.

Just saying ...

I'm sure some guy, somewhere may have figured out the scrub prior to JS7, but James is rightly credited as the pioneer of the technique ...

I've been paying attention to US pro motocross since the early '80s ... still mourning the loss of 'Motocross' magazine. Not MXA, but it's sister publication, that was dedicated to the riders and lifestyle of motocross racing. I believe it stopped publication in the 1990's ...

I digress ... Anyway ...

Prior to JS7 entering the pro ranks in the 2002-03 timeframe, the scrub was not a common technique in pro MX. I don't know how or when JS7 figured out how to scrub, but him doing it in the pro ranks was a pioneering move on his part. Once he showed it, people started talking about it, and all the other pros figured out how to do it.

All else aside, that can't be taken away from him.

Just saying ...

BMX'ers have been doing it for a long time before it came to MX. Watch some races of Jeremy McGrath he does it occasionally, though not to the extreme that you see it done today.

I think that James did it out of necessity. He was constantly going so darn fast that if he didn't scrub he would have been over-jumping every landing.

On a BMX bike you can also pick the front wheel on the way up the face of a jump and then "push it" forward past the lip of the jump to get the bike to fly in a flatter trajectory...the pick and push can be done on an MX bike also but it takes too much energy to do it for an entire race.

Back