Getting into sump

iancp5

Has anyone had any experience getting into the sump via the plate on the bottom? Or is there any other route in without splitting the cases?

Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I broke the sump plug not realising it was just the flange snapping off out of fatigue, I went to drill it to take an extractor. As soon as the drill touched it, it span up into the sump! :eek:

A real duh moment hurrying and not thinking. :o

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, I have done exactly the same.
I grabbed a magnet from the speedo setup as they are really strong and fished around until the broken bit was close then stuck the magnet into the hole.(you may even attract the broken bit by just inserting the magnet).
The magnet attracted the magnetic base of original plug and then I just turned it anticlockwise and out it came.
Before trying this though I was in your exact situation.
Good luck,
Mark:)

Don't feel bad, I have done exactly the same.
I grabbed a magnet from the speedo setup as they are really strong and fished around until the broken bit was close then stuck the magnet into the hole.(you may even attract the broken bit by just inserting the magnet).
The magnet attracted the magnetic base of original plug and then I just turned it anticlockwise and out it came.
Before trying this though I was in your exact situation.
Good luck,
Mark:)

Thanks I'll give that a go at the weekend. Fingers crossed it hasn't attached itself to anything yet. The lesson I have learned is - STOP, THINK then act. Come to think of it that was pretty much the advice my father regularly gave me and I'd ignore.

Last edited:
If you cannot see it get a tiny piece of wire and fish around and you should be able to get it back to the sump plug hole.
Cheers Mark

Seems on the 2006 model there is no mesh behind the sump plate as there is on some earlier models. So it was easy. Waggled a magnet around in there and in a couple of seconds I had caught a sump plug! :) Phew!

Another difference post 2005 is the addition of the oil screen like KTM use.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll give that a go at the weekend. Fingers crossed it hasn't attached itself to anything yet. The lesson I have learned is - STOP, THINK then act. Come to think of it that was pretty much the advice my father regularly gave me and I'd ignore.

How did it go mate?
All good I hope.
Cheers Mark

Back