GG Aluminum Frame

ruca

Care to comment? Supposably its racing in the 2011 Portuguese national enduro championship and its a 200cc. It doest quite charm me, and i still love Honda's!

Attachments

• GG_200_alum.jpg
    GG_200_alum.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 235
Well if its a 200 its based on a 125, you can tell by the pipe angle and what little you can see of the motor. What the hell, if TM can pull off an alloy frame why not GG?

One of the reasons I bought a GG was because of the steel frame. Aluminum perimeter frames are a royal pain to work around.

With a small 2stroke not too bad, larger 250/300 or 4stroke a real PIA. Keep the aluminum frame but give us the new motor.

One of the reasons I bought a GG was because of the steel frame. Aluminum perimeter frames are a royal pain to work around.

You think your stock fuel capacity is small now, wait and see what happens if they go aluminum.

Going to aluminum would be a very troubling thing.

You think your stock fuel capacity is small now, wait and see what happens if they go aluminum.

Going to aluminum would be a very troubling thing.

Agreed! Let the japs have their aluminum frames and keep the steel.

I also like the look of the TM's with their steel frame vs. their newer aluminum versions.

Aluminum is not done for performance, but for the lower cost of manufacturing. The perception is that it is trick, but the reality is that it is cheaper. I'd much rather have a steel frame. Lighter, and more durable.

It could also change the entire feel of the bike. Look at the first Hondas, they were brutal. Cannondale was very rigid as well.

I have a simple thought about this.... Don't fix it if it isn't broke.
I think some bike manufactures change stuff so they have the new and shinny thing.:D

I have a simple thought about this.... Don't fix it if it isn't broke.
I think some bike manufactures change stuff so they have the new and shinny thing.:D

Example- KDX steel perimeter frame.They got that right & ran it for years.

I wouldn't mind Gas Gas adopting an aluminum frame like Yamaha's YZ250 2T version. That frame is relatively open so fuel capacity isn't an issue. The YZ aluminum frame is 4 pounds lighter than the steel one it replaced. Plus, if Gas Gas did a total redesign we might get an easier bike to maintain.

The only way I would like it is if they did something great,, like use the cavity in the frame for the fuel tank or extra fuel.. so they could get it as thin as a trials bike but still have 2-3 gallon capacity and an option for more fuel added on..

My Cannondale was the most narrow bike I have ever ridden, despite the large spars and all the EFI hardware. The key was the tank, being pushed rearward under the seat to gain volume. Centralized mass better too. My Hyper is very much like this as well. As an engineer, I would approach an alloy frame GG as a totally new design from the ground up, not just a replacement frame. Think about all the effort put into 4strokes over the last 13 years and how that might have evolved the 2stroke. Being simpler in nature, the R&D dollar would go farther and we might have been riding some truly fantastic motorcycles.

My 2011 TM 250 MX has the alloy frame and I don't find it any harder to work on than my 2010 GG 300. It does hold less fuel but it's lighter and very thin at the legs and foot area are allowing me to grip the bike easier.

Ajp pr5 enduro

in this case, for those of you ho never heard of it let me introduce you the only Portuguese enduro bike, http://ajpmotors.com/en/products/ajp_pr5.html key features: under 7000$ price, leisure target market not race, Honda XR 250 replica but EFI, aluminum frame, under rider trans-lucid fuel tank, Sachs suspension, single piece cast aluminum swing arm, eStart, etc.
promising sales in France and Brazil. And even more if they advance with the 400cc.
Not bad for Europe's weak link:)

Back