How much oil?

captainslow

Hi all
I've just changed the oil for the 1st time on my '03 400FSE, now the manual ive dl'ded say to add abt 1800ml of oil BUT the amount of oil i've dumped is more than 2500ml so any ideas on the correct amount? either the previous owner or the manual?

Thanks in advance
Andy

I've got an 03. I put a little over 1800ml, and it touches the top of the square part of the dip stick.
With 2500ml of oil where does it hit on the dip stick?

after running the engine and letting it stand for a few mins it used to be right up the stick, i just wasnt sure if i was reading it right 'cos ive never had one of these "oil in frame" bikes before.

I changed mine tonight and per the manual 1200 ml. But I can't get it all in at once. I put in 1000mls start it for for a second to let some of the oil flow to the crankcase then add the remaining 200 ml.

2005 Manual
Oil.gif

Oil2.gif

Oil3.gif

Last edited:
My 05 Manual says 1200mL. I was only able to put in 1L or a bit less before it overflowed the hole for me. So i capped the oil hole and ran the bike for a few seconds to get oil into the crankcase. Then filled the rest.

If you put in 2500mL this is way too much. You need to drain it and start over with the correct amount.

Hi all
I've just changed the oil for the 1st time on my '03 400FSE, now the manual ive dl'ded say to add abt 1800ml of oil BUT the amount of oil i've dumped is more than 2500ml so any ideas on the correct amount? either the previous owner or the manual?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Back