Idaho, warm lake area

How much of your trails have been lost to the fires?
I see why some of your trails are marked "carry chainsaw", sure is a bunch of dead pines just waiting to fall.
Was thinking of making Idaho my 2014 west trip but all the fire activity shown on TV has me concerned my 40 hour drive would be in vein..:(

Fall is the time for cool temps and cleared trails.

How much of your trails have been lost to the fires?
I see why some of your trails are marked "carry chainsaw", sure is a bunch of dead pines just waiting to fall.
Was thinking of making Idaho my 2014 west trip but all the fire activity shown on TV has me concerned my 40 hour drive would be in vein..:(

Some areas on fire right now, prob will be tough going next season. many(most) trails get cleared by fall which is the optimal time to ride them. you get good at jumping logs, going under, or around. helps to work together. two to three guys can get a bike over even the biggest logs. sometimes you got to work together and not play the "i got around it, see ya later suckers game" though i do enjoy that game at times. To be honest, i am a native to idaho, and i have not even come close to hitting all the official forest service trails here. 3/4 of the rest of the state has trails that i never ride. Its not all on fire, believe me. Idaho has a dry climate, so fire is always with us. Lots and Lots of lodge-pole pine, its like the bamboo of pine trees, it grows quick, not very big and very prone beetle kill, which causes great fire risk, it's just a fact of living here. Many people clear trail as a hobby, and our crew of riders have invested in a saw rig. Fall is the time for cool temps and cleared trails.

Back