Improving starter on 06 model

iancp5

Reading the starter problems got me thinking. I have an 06 model and whilst it isn't as bad as the old ones it still has some issues. It'll start fine in neutral but struggles to turn the engine over fast enough when in gear. First is this normal, if it is, is there anything that can be done to make the starter spin faster?

It will sometimes start in gear but sometimes not. Obviously when stalling in a race I don't really want to be searching for neutral to fire her up again.

Its because of clutch drag. I've just learned to live with it.

That's what I was afraid of!
I'm wondering if I can increase the clutch lift a little in some way to reduce drag. The clutch also seems a little sticky on this compared to my 200. When it's cold and I select gear it will stall the engine if I don't raise the revs a little. My 2 stroke doesn't drag much at all but the clutch pull is harder. I'm wondering if the 450 has traded a lighter clutch for travel?

My clutch plates were tight in the basket. They didn't slide in easy, I had to push the plates in. I filed all the fingers on the basket, it gave the plates a fraction more room to move. Made a difference, not perfect, but much much better.

If the clutch pull is lighter it might have a slipper clutch in it.

Definitely not or if it has, it's not working. :D
Oh I'll take a look at it eventually but managed to bash my hand at the weekends enduro so can't do much at the moment. Quite a wallop on a gate post and I can't close my fist at the moment. But nothing broken luckily, just a few stitches needed.

Back