Lifetime of a reed

A long long time. My 05 and 06 KTM's have not had any issue's. 8000 miles on the 05 with Boysen reeds, and 5000 on the 06 with v-force. However, I just replaced the 05 KTM reeds and the new ones were more responsive. The reeds all layed flat, the edges were not frayed, and the bikes ran fine. I think the big issue's with reeds is dirt or anything that can catch the edges.

I did replace my gf's reeds in her 01 Honda CR250. They had some fraying on the edges. Her bike runs like a champ.

I usually find some evidence of fraying or chipping on the edges of one reed after a solid hard season of riding. They may still work fine, but its time. Just like doing a top end. In fact, if you do reeds when you do a top end, and replace the rubber carb boot, you will never have a problem.

How is that? Can this fraying affect idle, should I replace? I can see a little light shining thru on one petal.

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

I'd replace it. No need to be putting bits and pieces of carbon fiber through the motor.

When I first bought my used gas gas, I had to replace them after year and a half due to the inner reed was starting to crack. At first I had the boyseen dual stage reeds, and when i ordered them they sent me the single stage. I asked the guy at my local dealer if this change would affect the way the bike ran, he said that there should be no effects and that they would probably last longer. Well was he wrong, for one my bike did not feel the same anymore and the reeds only lasted me 3 months. The reed actually had a nice chunk missing from it that went into the motor. I went to the dealer again and ordered another set of reeds, but this time I made sure they ordered me the dual stage reeds. Now my bike is running back like it use to, and I have had them for about 9 months.

You guys must be a lot harder on your bikes than I am or something. I am just a lowly A level off road rider and have never had issues with my reeds. The 300 KTM uses a d.s. boysen and the 125 v force. Both units were in perfect shape after many years of use. TIP: stay off the throttle and they will last forever! : )

I notice the lifetime of the V-Force reeds are not so long like the older ones.
only 50-100h.
I think they want earn much money. ;-)

Those photos are typical at what you can expect, like Klausen states at around 50 - 100 hrs.

Back