Need something other than VForce 3...

Terrence R

I love my 2012 Gasgas ec300 race. I have spent lots of money and time on it to make it just right for me and I have no regrets. I am, however, having trouble with the Vforce 3 reeds. My reed pedals won't close and seal against the block. I flipped them around, tried new pedals, confirmed that they were installed right and the holding clips were properly installed. Still, the inner pedals hang open. So, I thought, time for a whole new reed block. So I ordered an entire reed assembly which included everything, including the gaskets, pedals, block, etc.. Well I opened up the box to see the exact same problem that I am chasing. I figured I would pull the clips out to confirm they were in right. They were. So, I notified Vforce about it. Excellent customer service. They sent me out a whole new block with new pedals and clips installed. But guess what? Same thing! Inner pedals hang open! Not just a little bit either. I can slide a piece of loose paper in between the pedals and block. Yes, it's that bad.
So, is there any other reed assembly that will work in my 2012 model? Vforce 2, or 4. Another brand? I'm having a hard time finding info. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

A paper thin gap is nothing to lose sleep over. :confused:

The down stroke is more than enough to shut the reeds with a positive seal.

Regardless, I want to switch if possible. I've never had this issue with any other machine. Any recommendations on a replacement?

They will seal just fine in use. Anything else will just lose you power. You are looking at something and decided it must be a problem. Those reeds will slam shut as soon as the pressure becomes positive. Then open when negative, then. . , etc etc.

The Boysen has a gap also.

The SmartCarb people are developing a reedless intake with no moving parts. Maybe an option for you.

The Boyesen RAD Valve (BRV) from the older models will fit and I believe they work every bit as well as the V-Force (VF), have a little bit better throttle response as soon as you crack open the throttle, and a little better at the very top. The mid-range may be a bit better on the VF but it may be a wash since the BRV's initial response may overshadow the midrange performance. For more information, contact Boyesen directly by phone or email. I spoke with them one month ago and they told me they still make a specific BRV for Gas Gas enduros even though they are not listed on the website. Pictures to be posted shortly of a well used BRV (3 years of riding...don't judge!) showing one "sheet of paper" for the lower carbon reed (BRVs are dual stage with a carbon reed over a fiberglass reed that opens at higher RPMs) and no gap for fiber reed. Also shown is a new BRV for a KDX 220 I just received a couple of weeks ago. I used a magnifying glass and could not see a gap on either the carbon or the fiberglass reeds. BTW, the KDX BRV is a "factory second" so it did not pass quality control for retail sale.

Eric

Last edited:
Back