Question about stock 17 EC skid plate vs AXP

flatout111

So, I'll be entering some hard enduro races this year. I'm an average rider at best. I've got a 2017 EC300 that I will be using. It comes with what is, I think, a stock GG skid plate.

My question is this. How is this plate compared to say a AXP skid plate for a 2017 EC300? I'm trying to decide if worth the upgrade or if what I have is fine.

Thanks for any info.

the stock one only covers the frame rails and any rock sliding will wear through it in a matter of minutes, the axp is much thicker with better coverage, it also offers protection to the stator and water pump.

for hard enduro you don't want anything less than an axp, but also look at the TM design works one and SXS also look for some coverage of the shock linkage, you could possibly fabricate a flap/tongue from the OEM skid plate and bolt it to whatever skid plate you end up getting (if they don't already come with a tongue)

Thanks for the input. I do like the AXP one but they don't have the extreme plate for the 17. Only 18 and up. So no linkage coverage on the plate they offer for the 17. So a bit worried what to do there.

The reason that you don't see enough skid plates with link cover out there for the gassers of those years is apart from the known ups and downs of the company then, they don't realy need it.
I owned a 2015 300 wich I raced a local extreme enduro and some enduro races and I never had a problem with the linkage because it doesn't come that much down as other bikes or the new 2018 on model.

So, I'll be entering some hard enduro races this year. I'm an average rider at best. I've got a 2017 EC300 that I will be using. It comes with what is, I think, a stock GG skid plate.

My question is this. How is this plate compared to say a AXP skid plate for a 2017 EC300? I'm trying to decide if worth the upgrade or if what I have is fine.

Thanks for any info.

I had AXP and now

Last edited:
Back