Radiator dramas.

wence

Bronze Level Site Supporter
Well, went out to the Supermotard day all keen to give the bike a blast and got three warm up laps done before we were diverted back into the pits ready for the sessions to start.
I decided to bump up compression as the bike was diving quite badly in the tight stuff and at the end of the straights.
After doing so I noticed a fluid on the ground near the bike and thought it was fuel.
After closer inspection I realised I had a leak from the radiator.
I changed the clip up radiator clamp for a proper clamp and then noticed it still leaking.
Decided not to rdie as by the time I got it apart and fixed and then back together the ride day would nearly be over.
Got it apart today and noticed that the bottom tank on the right side has not beenpressed up properly.
The tank has obviously hung in there till now but has given up the ghost due to vibration ( I assume).
Bit of a pain and now off to the radiator shop to see what can be done.
Not sure whether to push for a warranty job as the guards have actually rubbed one of the tabs on the radiator tank and although that is not the cause it will no doubt be an out for the warranty( maybe?)
Cheers Mark:(

I had similar issues on my '12 300 but mine was leaking on the top seam. It wasn't real bad but definitely needed fixed. I used some 2-part epoxy from Loc-Tite and it seems to working well.

I had similar issues on my '12 300 but mine was leaking on the top seam. It wasn't real bad but definitely needed fixed. I used some 2-part epoxy from Loc-Tite and it seems to working well.
If you can't get it taken care of...I'd do Epoxy. Just make sure everything is more or less sterile & scuff the surface, for a better bond.

If you can't get it taken care of...I'd do Epoxy. Just make sure everything is more or less sterile & scuff the surface, for a better bond.

Thanks fellas,
I had the trials bike fixed with an epoxy like substance and that is brilliant so I will take it back to the same bloke and he will no doubt do the same.
Cheers Mark

I'd try and get it covered under warranty. If so and you can keep the one you have fix it for a spare.

Here are the pics , what do you think???
P1060901.jpg

P1060900.jpg

P1060899.jpg

More to follow..

The third photo shows where the radiator guard has rubbed , but if you look closely you can see that the radiator tank is still soldered to the radiator even though the tabs and tank are too low.
Cheers Mark

If your importer is as good as ours that would be covered. If not, or for a spare, are you familiar with HTS2000 alloy brazing rods? This would be a very good application and much better than epoxy.

I will check with the gas gas shop here and see what they reckon and then go to a radiator shop and ask them about the ods.
Thanks Glenn,
Mark.

Back