rear spring- am I understanding this right?

imsimon

Hello.
Sorry for this. Ive read bits but just want to check ive understood this correctly

Bike is 2006 ec 250 with ohlins shock

Ive got 105mm of rider sag but this gives a whopping 55mm of static sag.
From what I thnk this means I need a softer spring. Im not sure how much by but think next step is to remove shock and then spring to try and see what spring is currently on it?

Is the shock just a case of undoing bolts at top bottom and out it comes? The linkage appears to be blocking the bottom bolts so have to undo that as well

Thanks
si

if you undo the top bolt first, you can lift up the swingarm to get to the lower bolt without removing the linkage.

if you undo the top bolt first, you can lift up the swingarm to get to the lower bolt without removing the linkage.

Great tip, but it might be worth still taking the linkage apart to clean and grease the bearings, seals etc.

Great tip, but it might be worth still taiding the linkage apart to clean and grease the bearings,seals etc.

Thanks for the last two posts. I still couldnt get to the bolts so had to undo the linkage.

Ive managed to remove the shock but veing new to this I have no Idea on how to remoce the spring as I believe the weight Is written on the bottom of the spring.

Can anyone help with how to remove the spring and any suggestions just from my weight as to what spring weight I will need?

thanks again I appreciate all the help!

At that weight the stock spring should be about perfect. I wonder why you have so much sag? Has it been resprung?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At that weight the stock spring should be about perfect. I wonder why you have so much sag? HUnfortunatelyresprung?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Ive now managed to remove the spring which has no markings on. The sag being yhat far off confused me aswell. Unfortunately the spring had no markings at all on it to help but im just going to get a standard spring and hope both sags are ok. Its worth noting i didnt measure how much preload was on so maybe that contributed?

Anyway thank you everyone your help is invaluable to someone learning the ropes like me!

Hopefully ill report back with good news in a week or so!

Another question!!!
Does anyone know if a 2011 or a 2012 model spring is the same as a the 2006.

Also has anyone ever used faulkner springs? They do a spring thats same dimensions weight etc not specificly marketed as a spring for the gasser but has fine reviews etc

cheers

Another question!!!
Does anyone know if a 2011 or a 2012 model spring is the same as a the 2006

As long as its the same type of shock, e.g. ?hlins (apart from TTX), the springs should be interchangeable.

Also has anyone ever used faulkner springs? They do a spring thats same dimensions weight etc not specificly marketed as a spring for the gasser but has fine reviews etc

There is no such thing as a Gasgas specific spring. As long as the dimensions are correct for your shock, and the spring constant (weight) is correct for your body weigth, it can be used.

If the spring is correct....the shock might not have a full charge of nitrogen? Oil? Something is not right!

Must of been a hard spring.

Got a standard spring put it in. I set the preload at 10mm before putting the shock back in. This gave race sag of 95mm and 30mm static. Im gonna take a bit of pre load of to ger a little bit more rider sag and everything should still be within range.

Feels much nicer just pushing down on it. Only thing that slightly concerned me was that the spring is maiking a noise but wonder if this is just where its new?

I'm curious which spring you got and where you got it from. I'm chasing sag all over the place on mine as well. I don't know if mine is too short for my shock but I have to run the sort of castle-nut looking things down quite a ways before it even begins touching the spring. There is an unthreaded portion in the middle of the threaded section of the shock which is about 1/8 inch wide, and it's probably a good 1 1/2 inches below that! There are LOTS of threads above the nuts. If anyone wants pictures to understand what I'm saying and maybe tell me if it's normal or not, I'd be glad to take some in the daylight tomorrow.

I'm curious which spring you got and where you got it from. I'm chasing sag all over the place on mine as well. I don't know if mine is too short for my shock but I have to run the sort of castle-nut looking things down quite a ways before it even begins touching the spring. There is an unthreaded portion in the middle of the threaded section of the shock which is about 1/8 inch wide, and it's probably a good 1 1/2 inches below that! There are LOTS of threads above the nuts. If anyone wants pictures to understand what I'm saying and maybe tell me if it's normal or not, I'd be glad to take some in the daylight tomorrow.

Not sure what year your bike is and what type of shock you have but on my 2011 with Ohlins shock I have to compress the spring to even get the nut started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the dimensions on the rear shock spring for an 01? I can't really find any information, or anyone that sells the spring in the US.

Does the 01 Ohlins have a specific Ohlins model number?

What are the dimensions on the rear shock spring for an 01? I can't really find any information, or anyone that sells the spring in the US.

Does the 01 Ohlins have a specific Ohlins model number?
Not sure of the dimensions but I would suggest you contact house of horsepower I belive they will be able to make a spring for you

Back