Rear sprocket screws (M8x30) grades

poelinca

I tried to change the sprockets and chain this weekend but hit a little bump. Loctite was too strong in one of the screws that hold the rear sprocket and had to be drilled out. No biggie until now, the only problem is that i can't find a matching screw.

It says on the old screws that they are grade 12.9, however i can only find galvanized steel 8.8 grade M8x30 screws. Should they work or am i risking to break them while out in the woods ?

I'm in SE EU, the soonest i can get my hands on one of those "bolt kits" is friday and would like to get the bike up and ready by then.

Thanks for the help guys, found screws graded 10.9 witch should work.

10.9 is quite ok. I often use A2 or A4 screws (stainless). I only have a 200, but even on a 300 they should work ok as long as you keep them thight. Check them from time to time. If they work loose, bad things will happen.

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

10.9 is quite ok. I often use A2 or A4 screws (stainless). I only have a 200, but even on a 300 they should work ok as long as you keep them thight. Check them from time to time. If they work loose, bad things will happen.

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk
A useful tip to spot loose sprocket boots is to see water lines radiating out from the bolts

Back