Reed Crossover

noobi

Been trying to find a crossover for a Boyesen RAD valve, or what I assume is a RAD valve.

Do I use 98 CR reeds, or 2000 CR reeds, I even saw a reference to using 96 YZ reeds?
Gasgas enduro bikes are no longer listed on the Boyesen site.

Heres my damaged reed assembly from my 07 200. Which until yesterday I assumed was a VForce3.
daylightbad.jpg

noobi the reeds from 98 to 2000 is the same but the problem with boyesen rad valve is the alu case not the reeds i replace all reeds end case from used honda of ebay with 30$ like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Honda-CR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b052be9a&vxp=mtr
because the reeds on honda sit on plastic surface not in metal so i think last forever xaxxxaxxa

So the carbon Honda reeds will work fine, but might wear out faster with the gasgas aluminium cage?
Cheers

the question is easy, so many years i have japan 2 stroke repair end never i have see broken reeds. :) why? because sit on elastic rubber not on alu

Got the reeds, they have 3 holes, whereas my reed block only has 2 tapped holes.
Looking at the CR block, that has 3 holes too.

Opinions on tapping 3 new holes in the block vs drilling 2 new holes into the new carbon and resin reed?

Call boysen direct. They still have the reeds.. They fit other bikes with the rad valve I just can't remember what they are. I got a set of CF reeds from boysen as my fiberglass ones were melting due to the ethanol in the fuel. I exchanged them as they wanted them back to test. The best part of that was Boysen is only 45 minutes from my house. Nice people there and very helpful.

Call boysen direct. They still have the reeds.. They fit other bikes with the rad valve I just can't remember what they are. I got a set of CF reeds from boysen as my fiberglass ones were melting due to the ethanol in the fuel. I exchanged them as they wanted them back to test. The best part of that was Boysen is only 45 minutes from my house. Nice people there and very helpful.

Thanks, but being in NZ, they would just say call the distributor, which I did, and they said we need to check with Boyeson, and then having to wait for them to come from the states. So it was a bunch of he said, she said.
I ended up modding the reed block to accept reeds with 3 holes, as well as the stock 2. Meaning I can run CR reeds if I wish. Was much less hassle, quicker and probably cheaper than waiting for the right part.

Also, I think a side effect of the broken reeds was having to wind the idle in a heap to get a stable idle. So when I started the bike with properly sealing reeds, it wanted to blow up, which is always fun.
Backed the idle ALL the way out and now she purrs. I'm happy.

Thanks for your help Gasgasogeros and Cruiser

If you keep having the issue you could just get the force kit from a GG dealer to get away from the rad valve entirely. In my 97 I have a set of CF reeds I got from Steve @ motowest. I do not know if he still has these produced or any around. They did make the bike run much better.

The Motowest reeds were made by CarbonTech, who I believe was acquired by or merged with Boyeseen a few years back. They did work well. Like Steve said just get a VForce and be done with it.

GMP, gasgasman, I did consider just buying the VF3 from bto, and find it hard to think about the bike having more torque than it does now, especially for such a small bore. However, money is pretty tight at the moment with uni. Fitting the boyesons was half the price of getting a VF3 from the states and a one day wait, so I went for that option. If I can find the money, or the reeds get damaged again, I might upgrade at a later date.
Thanks

I have some used reeds you can have. They are the 2 stage Boysens off my 1998 GG 250.

Postage to NZ should not be that much.

I have some used reeds you can have. They are the 2 stage Boysens off my 1998 GG 250.

Postage to NZ should not be that much.

Thanks, but no thanks. I've already got it going by modifying the block to fit PSR-21 reeds. Like I said, if they go again, ill replace it with a VF3, or a VF4 is I can find one. I think the 86?-01 CR250 VF is the one I want.

I've been playing chase the reeds for my 05 ec250 boyesen don't list them anymore, but with 3 days of phone calls, emails and texts I think that the boyesen pro-21/psr-21 are the same as the RL-O2 or #644. All 4 of those are compatible with the YZ250 1990-1996 so I ordered some RL-02 for $30 including p&p to the uk, vs the boyesen pro-21 which where going to cost me $90-100. I also seem to remember somewhere that the PRO-09's also fit.... Probably... If not, I have a dremel and I'll make them fit!

27b53faf.jpg

RL-02
c8e99637.jpg

I've been playing chase the reeds for my 05 ec250 boyesen don't list them anymore, but with 3 days of phone calls, emails and texts I think that the boyesen pro-21/psr-21 are the same as the RL-O2 or #644. All 4 of those are compatible with the YZ250 1990-1996 so I ordered some RL-02 for $30 including p&p to the uk, vs the boyesen pro-21 which where going to cost me $90-100. I also seem to remember somewhere that the PRO-09's also fit.... Probably... If not, I have a dremel and I'll make them fit!

The PSR-21 is the carbon reed, so thats why its dearer than the RL-02. The fitment is the same, but the PSR is a higher spec.
Still surprised that all the blocks ive seen have 3 bolts, but mine only had 2.

Back