Remembering the fun

iajim

About a week ago I saw an old riding buddy of mine, he's 76, I'm 58. We started riding together about 1972, he helped me at my first enduro and he was a mentor/tutor to several riders in the area. He asked me to stop by his house to sign a book??? (This is the good part) He had the book "Malcolm!", inside the front and back cover he was getting signatures and brief comments from all the people he had ridden with the last 46 years. The Yamaha dealer who took him to his first enduro, people who rode old DT-1's and Honda scramblers as well as orange/white enduro-crossers, they were all in there. I felt a bit honored that he saved a spot for me at the top of the page. This is a great idea for anyone who rides, you'll be able to remember more people, what they looked like "back in the day", what they were riding, places you rode, things you saw. It will probably be more meaningful to have something like this than to have your kids say "Oh yeah, grandpa/grandma used to ride a dirt bike." One other point he mentioned and I'm sure others have noticed is how easy it is to forget about various races even when you write something on the bottom of the trophy. Here is a suggestion from the 76 yr. old veteran; after the race/ride, take a picture with a good camera, make sure that you, the bike, the trophy, people who came with you, the vehicle you travelled in are all in the photo. You'll remember much, much more than just looking at the trophy. It may not be like "50 years of kicks" but it will be just as enjoyable to you. Have some dirt biking fun and make the memories last.

Back