restoring a 2000 XC300

Adam500

Trying to bring a basket case XC300 back to life.
The 10th # in the VIN is 0 so I'm assuming its a 2000.
Please correct me if im wrong.
I need a rear fender preferably one without the tail light.
shift lever and brake lever.
Having a hard time finding anything for this bike.
where can I get this stuff?

2000 era XC300's use 1998-ish KX250 bodywork, so a rear fender in lots of varying colors shouldn't be too hard to find. I believe that side panels are same era KX250, the only difference in my memory is that the XC300 has an air filter access panel on the left side and the KX doesn't have the little access panel.

What part of the country (World) are you in?
I likely have some used plastics, but, finding a box and shipping
might be more of a hassle than the parts are worth.

Trying to bring a basket case XC300 back to life.
The 10th # in the VIN is 0 so I'm assuming its a 2000.
Please correct me if im wrong.
I need a rear fender preferably one without the tail light.
shift lever and brake lever.
Having a hard time finding anything for this bike.
where can I get this stuff?

Attachments

• Plastics1.jpg
    Plastics1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for all the info guys.
Good to know about the KX part interchange. Can only find black and green KX fenders. I'd really like a blue one.
Im located in upstate NY

the only difference in my memory is that the XC300 has an air filter access panel on the left side and the KX doesn't have the little access panel.

The access panel was added in '01. All KX250 plastic except radiator shrouds which are GG only.

mine has the access panel.
Do I have the year correct?
Again the 10th # in the VIN is zero.
Is that how ya tell?

2000 model year should be correct but if someone updated the plastics to a newer year to get rid of the "pink" red '00 plastics (like I did to mine) then the airbox got changed also, that's probably why you have the side air filter access panel. Check the sticky threads in the general discussion forum, lots of info there. Also the main page has some "parts crossover" tab with even more info but you don't seem to be able to get there from here. Here's the link http://gasgasrider.org

The Emgo shifter is a nice upgrade over the stock one on your bike. It appears that GG started putting the Emgo shifter on the new GG bikes. Many of the new GG parts can be retrofit back to the old bikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Forge...943362&hash=item364c5fc28d:g:iVsAAOSwRXhcwxg5

I have a 2000 XC300 and it uses the old KX plastic and it does not have the airfilter door. The old blue plastic is getting hard to find. You can either try to find new blue plastic for your bike (which sounds like 2001 and newer with air filter door) or you can swap to red and white or you can change to a 1998 -2000 airbox and run the older KX plastic. You can buy new Polisport red and white plastic for the 2001-2006 bikes for about $200.

Do you need all of the blue plastic or just a couple pieces?

still cant find cross over parts for shift and brake lever and hand levers.

Front brake lever is Honda CR250 (assuming Nissin master cylinder); Yamaha Nissin brake lever will not fit without modifications (just get the CR lever).

A Yamaha YZ or WR450 rear brake lever can be installed with modifications. It's somewhere on the forums that I saw the mod. I bought a WR450 brake lever for mine but didn't install it as I got new bushings to service the OEM lever.

Clutch lever is either AJP or Brembo. I had the AJP master and you can (or at least you could 10 years ago) get levers from GasGas trials dealers. Check ebay for the AJP clutch levers, I don't think that they changed much over the years.

Back