Ring Gear Screws Sheared

farmerj

Platinum Level Site Supporter
Out riding today, about 6 miles from the truck, and I stalled going over a log. The engine locked up ? I thought maybe it had seized. The kickstart lever would only move about 1/4 of the way, and the electric start was not happy.

I pushed it out of the trail for about 30 minutes, and thought I would try one last time. it seemed to free up once earlier, but locked again. Gratefully, it started, and I was able to ride back to the staging area.

Upon inspection ring gear screws head sheared, and jammed things up. Has anyone else had this happen? What do you think caused it?

Do I replace with the same screws/bolts, or is there something better?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• 71BC9D28-0039-4340-A38D-8D796F7DB93F.jpg
    71BC9D28-0039-4340-A38D-8D796F7DB93F.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 11
Screws came loose, gear slammed screws, made them loosen, or worse, break (hard to see from your picture).

New screws, clean thread, red loctite, good to go. (You can use red here 'cause if you have to disassemble, you can heat the gear and loosen the loctite.)

Screws came loose, gear slammed screws, made them loosen, or worse, break (hard to see from your picture).

New screws, clean thread, red loctite, good to go. (You can use red here 'cause if you have to disassemble, you can heat the gear and loosen the loctite.)

I agree 100% in what happened and how to fix.

Thanks guys, helpful comments. Screws were all broken, your loosening theory makes sense - and the red Loctite suggestion gives me some (needed) confidence that this won?t happen again!

Jeff

Back