Starter Debate

Jim_C

Here is my rationale for removing the starter and battery when purchasing my used (50hrs) 2018 XC250:

1. You save weight. 8-10 lbs? Don't quote me on that weight. When riding 2, 4, 6 hours of single track every bit of advantage helps in terms of machine weight. This comes into play even more so racing an enduro in my opinion.

2. Our bikes light off first kick, generally. Come on, is it really that much of a hassle to kick? Our grandfathers are rolling over in their graves. I ride with a guy (man) who single tracks with an old CR500. It's hilarious to see him out ride guys on $10,000 four strokes with all the bells and whistles.

3. Less chance of electrical problem on the trail.

4. I know the best argument for the button is "what if I'm stuck on a hill". My answer is go back down and try again or practice more on hills.

Someone crush my irrational logic.:)

Because deep down, he knows he's wrong and is trying to justify it by external means :p.

My 07 of course has no button. Doesn't need one.

Except when stuck in a nasty section. There is no, just rolling back down a simple hill, this is 20 minutes into forest on side of steep bank. I'm tired and didn't make the last turn fully.

I maneuver on the slippery pine needles, with my left hand grab a branch to stop me sliding backwards off the track to a place I really doubt I'd get out of. Click it into neutral. One prod, it starts.

And I'm blipping the throttle wondering if I can let go of the branch, grab the clutch, click it into gear, and release the clutch before I slide backwards.

Yes this situation is real and keeps me awake since it last happened about 1 year ago.

I got someone to grab a fork leg and got out. Lucky he came by.

If I had a button I'd have not slid back that far to get to a place I could swing the kicker. I'd have started it further up or even beside the bike and been able to get back on a bike with some motive power.

I want a button on my next bike.

And for the new bikes to be same seat height as my 07 while I'm wibbling on about it.

Because deep down, he knows he's wrong and is trying to justify it by external means :p.

My 07 of course has no button. Doesn't need one.

Except when stuck in a nasty section. There is no, just rolling back down a simple hill, this is 20 minutes into forest on side of steep bank. I'm tired and didn't make the last turn fully.

I maneuver on the slippery pine needles, with my left hand grab a branch to stop me sliding backwards off the track to a place I really doubt I'd get out of. Click it into neutral. One prod, it starts.

And I'm blipping the throttle wondering if I can let go of the branch, grab the clutch, click it into gear, and release the clutch before I slide backwards.

Yes this situation is real and keeps me awake since it last happened about 1 year ago.

I got someone to grab a fork leg and got out. Lucky he came by.

If I had a button I'd have not slid back that far to get to a place I could swing the kicker. I'd have started it further up or even beside the bike and been able to get back on a bike with some motive power.

I want a button on my next bike.

And for the new bikes to be same seat height as my 07 while I'm wibbling on about it.

Do you have a Rekluse?

Jim,you forgot it is a badly designed POS system that will fail at some point.

The starter problem is easily fixed w/ the new Rieju cover which has a needle bearing and a bronze sleeve bearing.

Total cost $ 65+.

The problem was high friction on the drive parts because of right angle gear drive causing wear in the factory cover.

Easy fix.....I love my electric start..... especially over 11,000 ft.

I can leave my bike for 3-4 weeks without starting and it starts right up....instantly!

:D

So this is just a bolt on replacement part? Part #?

The starter problem is easily fixed w/ the new Rieju cover which has a needle bearing and a bronze sleeve bearing.

Total cost $ 65+.

The problem was high friction on the drive parts because of right angle gear drive causing wear in the factory cover.

I can leave my bike for 3-4 weeks without starting and it starts right up....instantly!

Total cost $ 65+.

Agreed.
I have one on my bike.

Here is my rationale for removing the starter and battery when purchasing my used (50hrs) 2018 XC250:

4. I know the best argument for the button is "what if I'm stuck on a hill". My answer is go back down and try again or practice more on hills.

Someone crush my irrational logic.:)

For me the best argument for electric start is arthritis in my right knee caused by 56 years of kicking bikes that didn't have e-start.

Back