Steering lock?

Noobi06

Hi, how is it with the steering lock? i've got one but I do not have a key. Is the keys universal or unique?
There are steerling locks with keys to buy but in that case I would need to replace it. I doubt I can do that without drilling
If it helps, the key is the round thing.
It kinda looks like the lock in the picture. In that case, the key should just be round right? That can't be unique
lock.jpg

Last edited:
Cover it with silicone to stop water getting in to the bottom steering race.

They used to have disc locks with same sort of key. I had one on a bike I bought under the seat. Disassemble a ballpoint and jammed it in. That unlocks it. So pretty bloody useless.

Those ones are smaller so probably the right size thin tube will defeat it.

Take a chain lock.

I want to be 30 again but the maths on my time machine is still a bit shakey.

Meanwhile if I can rendezvous with Elle Mc Phearson when she was The Body, and not some crazy woman. Well!

My wife had to tell me how to spell Phearson. I hope she doesn't cotton on to my nefarious plan. Spell check helped me with nefarious.

have owned a few gassers..never seen one with a steering lock, but the 450 i just bought has one. and 2 keys...

I know the steering lock might not be good but I still want one for school etc. The key looks so basic aswell. Its almost just a round circle. There cant be teeth on that key

I know the steering lock might not be good but I still want one for school etc. The key looks so basic aswell. Its almost just a round circle. There cant be teeth on that key

honestly... i have not even looked at... but i will this weekend..

this was a good friends bike, he was a gg dealer back in the 2000's.... i bought my first gg from him. he passed away a few months ago and i got the chance to buy one of his bikes. it is new, never sold , i think a 2003 that started life as a 400, converted by gg to a 450 and never sold.. might have 40 miles on it.

have owned a few gassers..never seen one with a steering lock, but the 450 i just bought has one. and 2 keys...

My '11 EC250 has a steering lock. I don't have a key for it, though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20230217_141803.jpg
    20230217_141803.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 32
A screwdriver and hammer will pop that rivet off and insert slide out. Virtually useless. Find a decent loop lock that will fit in or tie to your bag.

And wear a cheap set of heavy jeans over your school trousers. When you fall off at 30kph as your brake fluid has leaked onto the front tyre from the bleeding you and your just as clueless mate who told you he knows how to do this, well, you'll find poly cotton trousers are like riding bare legged.

Don't ask how I know. Did get a lift pass for a week or so.

my 2010 had the same. I still have the keys

The round key is similar to what you find on bicycle D-locks so in theory should require more than just a ballpoint pen, but then it is gasgas and a ballpoint pen could quite easily be one of the special tools you need!

Do you think your key would work on mine? Maybe it would be worth a try, since you say your 2010 had the same as in the picture. Id pay full price and a bit more to try.

my 2010 had the same. I still have the keys

The round key is similar to what you find on bicycle D-locks so in theory should require more than just a ballpoint pen, but then it is gasgas and a ballpoint pen could quite easily be one of the special tools you need!

YouTube pick tubular lock with ballpoint pen and you will get skrees of vids.

There will be 20 different keys so the wrong one won't help you.

YouTube pick tubular lock with ballpoint pen and you will get skrees of vids.

There will be 20 different keys so the wrong one won't help you.

I will, i remember Kryptonite used to offer GBP500 if your bicycle got stolen while using their lock ... maybe that was part of their security - disinformation!. This was before youtube as well

my key won't fit, just a bit strange that i gave the buyer boxes of spares and forgot to give him the keys, so if you see a guy riding a 2010 300 with kyb's and 2011 plastics down your neck of the woods let him know i have his keys ... I know it is a gasser and not a vape shop but crooks seem to be on the rise LOL

Hi, how is it with the steering lock? i've got one but I do not have a key. Is the keys universal or unique?
There are steerling locks with keys to buy but in that case I would need to replace it. I doubt I can do that without drilling
If it helps, the key is the round thing.
It kinda looks like the lock in the picture. In that case, the key should just be round right? That can't be unique
View attachment 9473

There's a # stamped on the lock cylinder.
I have an extra key, maybe it would be a match.

Back