SWM rises again

VxZeroKnots

Gold Level Site Supporter
It looks like the Italian Husky design will live on in some capacity.

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/component/k2/item/2267-first-look-–-the-resurrection-of-swm

ec9df61fac9d05bd45a9996611e7ecb8_L.jpg

Wow, those are very cool looking. We love our TXC 450 and I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat - I wonder if they will import any to the US? It looks like they improved the shroud design (IMO) which on the Husky were kind of prone to catching trees and ripping off. The tank looks like it might be higher capacity as well. Other than those two things they look identical to the pre-BMW Huskies (I always wondered what happened to that tech after the buyout). I just hope those aren't the 50mm Marzocchis.

Wow, those are very cool looking. We love our TXC 450 and I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat - I wonder if they will import any to the US? It looks like they improved the shroud design (IMO) which on the Husky were kind of prone to catching trees and ripping off. The tank looks like it might be higher capacity as well. Other than those two things they look identical to the pre-BMW Huskies (I always wondered what happened to that tech after the buyout). I just hope those aren't the 50mm Marzocchis.

I'm curious about what you didn't like with the 50mm marz? The 48mm on my GG is much better all around but I thought the 50mm was fine for the woods.

I did break a few of those shrouds in trees and such but absolutely loved the bike.

Our gripes with the 50s are really confined to durability. They go through fork seals like crazy and the forums have let me know that our situation isn't unique. I think I'm going to try to get them recoated on the inside as suggested by a local suspension guy and see if it helps but we've tried every seal made. Other than that they've been fine and they are easy to work on. I'm actually a big fan of the 48mm on my Gas Gasses and haven't had any problems.

I switched to SKF seals on them and the problem went away. The OEM ones are crap, it's a bummer that wasn't the fix for you.

My only gripe with the 48mm's are parts are hard to find and they are expensive.

I have a 2008 husky txc510 in my garage....

That bike looks the same - except for bodywork/tank... Same frame, same swingarm, same wheels, same casting on the triple clamps. same, same, same... In my opinion - the 2008-2010 italian husky 450/510 had been refined to near perfection (motor, handling, ergos). A little dialing in and it's a truly great bike.

I wonder if this is a true production bike. It looks like a 2010 husky te450 with different plastic... I thought gasgas bought the husky 4 stroke technology. Maybe they sold off the 450/510 separately from the x-lite motor?

Well, if they do make a good go of it - I can get parts for my husky from SWM. :-)

jeff

I have a 2008 husky txc510 in my garage....

That bike looks the same - except for bodywork/tank... Same frame, same swingarm, same wheels, same casting on the triple clamps. same, same, same... In my opinion - the 2008-2010 italian husky 450/510 had been refined to near perfection (motor, handling, ergos). A little dialing in and it's a truly great bike.

I wonder if this is a true production bike. It looks like a 2010 husky te450 with different plastic... I thought gasgas bought the husky 4 stroke technology. Maybe they sold off the 450/510 separately from the x-lite motor?

Well, if they do make a good go of it - I can get parts for my husky from SWM. :-)

jeff

Yes, the Chinese company mentioned in the article purchased the old husky factory in Varese. So the great pre kymco big motors live on as well as the smaller motors with gg. I might have to get one of each!

I know there is no chance of it, but if they put a wide ratio trans in the 450/510 engine in that chassis I would have to buy one. It would be a great Colorado dual sport bike.

Back