Throttle Control

iajim

I have a "hypothetical " question for anyone who rides a dirt bike and a 4 wheeler (or snowmobile). Do you feel you have better throttle control w/a conventional twist throttle or thumb throttle? Snowmobilers' use the inside palm between the thumb and forefinger. What's your opinion? I don't expect any kind of industry movement to thumb throttles but I have noticed a greater ease of throttle control. My comparison is owning a Polaris Sportsman 500 ('99) and a Kawasaki Brute Force 650 ('08), along with my neighbors Yam. Grizzly 550. The bikes I've owned range from a Briggs & Statton 5 hp mini bike to Honda MR, YZ 125s, Can Am 250 mx, Honda XR(2), Yam. TT (250 & 500), Yam YZWR (2 T),Husky 250WR, KDX 220, GG 300XC. In all fairness I've never ridden anything with an adjustable/ aftermarket throttle cam, but I have used Magura's which had a "slow" and "fast" opening.

Put a twist grip on a quad and you will be tangling with death. A quad has a lot of side to side jerkiness, where a bike is only jerky typically in a wheelie or Endo style fashion. I grew up with a quad, but I personally wouldn't want to ride a bike with a thumb throttle. I think you have greater control in cornering and more ability to roll on power instead of, a quad for me was typically all or nothing. I had an 03 Ltz 400 with both a twist grip and thumb throttle, loved the motor, didn't care for the 4 wheels.

depends what you are use too. the more you ride with either the better you will feel with it. I ride with a guy with a thumb control because his wrist is fused so he can't bend it. he is a fast high level rider the only problem he has is long down hill. with your thumb and finger on the controls front hard to hang on tight for a long time.

Back