Tire cutting tip

moto9

Silver Level Site Supporter
If you want to groove your knobby or freshen up the edges, try a hand grinder with a 4" cutting wheel.
Grooving the knobs are quick, easy and straight lines are a snap with some practice.
freshening up the edges:
I now use this method instead of flipping the tire...I hold the grinder's wheel perpendicular to the knob and quickly grind in a sharp edge...you can even under-cut the knob to give it a scoop effect.

If you want to groove your knobby or freshen up the edges, try a hand grinder with a 4" cutting wheel.
Grooving the knobs are quick, easy and straight lines are a snap with some practice.
freshening up the edges:
I now use this method instead of flipping the tire...I hold the grinder's wheel perpendicular to the knob and quickly grind in a sharp edge...you can even under-cut the knob to give it a scoop effect.

Don't do it in your basement garage - it stinks the whole house out!
(Glad to know it's not just us cheap-assed Kiwis who getup to these sorts of tricks)

Good idea, I have a Makita with a couple of fresh discs. I'll give it a try but outside or at least with the garage door open!

Last edited:
Make sure that there is nothing in front of you, or behind you that you value..like a car or something as little pieces of hot melted rubber stick to everything!! And are a complete bitch to get off.

I speak from experience!!:D

Make sure that there is nothing in front of you, or behind you that you value..like a car or something as little pieces of hot melted rubber stick to everything!! And are a complete bitch to get off.

I speak from experience!!:D

True that...and I learned to wear gloves, eye wear and a old long sleeve tee.

Hehe! I have a basement workshop. The first time I did this, I had my glasses and earmuffs on, and I was about half way round the rear tyre, (fully engrossed - as one tends to be when you wear earmuffs) when I felt this major thumping between my shoulder blades. I turned around and through this thick blue haze I could just see my wife, a couple of meters away, dripping wet, wrapped only in a towel, waving at me.
Cool, I must be about to get lucky, I thought. How wrong could I be?...well very very wrong actually! It turns out I had filled the bloody house with stinky blue smoke, and set the smoke detectors off. My wife was having a shower at the time, heard the smoke alarms, and flew out of the bathroom in a mad panic, to discover a hallway full of smoke. She could hear my grinder still going and thought I must have electrocuted myself or something. So she comes rushing down to the garage and there is me grinding away, oblivious to all the drama. I offered to finish towelling her dry, but she told me to get lost (or words to that affect). Never could figure out women...

You crack me up Barry.
I remember discussing this on another forum and someone suggested using a skillsaw.....I remember thinking at the time you couldnt pay me to try cutting tyre knobs like that. :eek:

Hehe! I have a basement workshop. The first time I did this, I had my glasses and earmuffs on, and I was about half way round the rear tyre, (fully engrossed - as one tends to be when you wear earmuffs) when I felt this major thumping between my shoulder blades. I turned around and through this thick blue haze I could just see my wife, a couple of meters away, dripping wet, wrapped only in a towel, waving at me.
Cool, I must be about to get lucky, I thought. How wrong could I be?...well very very wrong actually! It turns out I had filled the bloody house with stinky blue smoke, and set the smoke detectors off. My wife was having a shower at the time, heard the smoke alarms, and flew out of the bathroom in a mad panic, to discover a hallway full of smoke. She could hear my grinder still going and thought I must have electrocuted myself or something. So she comes rushing down to the garage and there is me grinding away, oblivious to all the drama. I offered to finish towelling her dry, but she told me to get lost (or words to that affect). Never could figure out women...

I almost spit my drink out! Too funny :D

I put a KnobbyKnife on my Xmas list.If I don't get one I'll buy one,it looks like the easiest way to revive a tire. I found them through DirtRider at Knobbyknife.com.

I put a KnobbyKnife on my Xmas list.If I don't get one I'll buy one,it looks like the easiest way to revive a tire. I found them through DirtRider at Knobbyknife.com.
The Knobbyknife people are awesome. The first one I got from them didn't work properly so I called them up. They were very nice and sent me out a replacement the very next day and threw in a free t shirt to boot. The replacement works fine.

Back