Top end power

Nicktamps

Hi all. So, after a bit of advice again. I've got a 2015 ec250 and I've noticed in the last ride that there is no top end power there. It's like it's going flat when it's revving higher. The bottom end grunt is still there and when I'm going slow through climbs or whatever I don't notice it. But as soon as I try to get a bit of speed there's nothing there. My mates got exactly the same bike year bike as mine but a 300. He's ridden it a few times and after every ride he says it's like the power valve ain't kicking in

Other than that the bike rides fine. Kicks first time. Idles lovely

Any help greatly appreciated

Perhaps your friend is right? Did you check the power valve operation? Take off the expansion chamber and the right hand power valve cover. Start the motor and look at the actuator. It should move as the revs rises.

Mine's a '19, you have to pull the large nut on the right hand side of the engine and adjust the grub screw and nut.

Download link for '15 manual below. Adjustment is on page 79.

https://gasgas.com/index.php?mact=C...ERVibJU/&cntnt01returnid=1&showtemplate=false

Unlike myself, hold the screw and undo the nut a few turns(CCW) and hold whilst turning the screw CW till it stops. REMEMBER TO COUNT HOW MANY TURNS SO YOU GET AN IDEA FROM THE CHART WHERE YOUR SETTING WAS BEFORE YOU RE-ADJUST.

Mine's a '19, you have to pull the large nut on the right hand side of the engine and adjust the grub screw and nut.

Download link for '15 manual below. Adjustment is on page 79.

https://gasgas.com/index.php?mact=C...ERVibJU/&cntnt01returnid=1&showtemplate=false

Unlike myself, hold the screw and undo the nut a few turns(CCW) and hold whilst turning the screw CW till it stops. REMEMBER TO COUNT HOW MANY TURNS SO YOU GET AN IDEA FROM THE CHART WHERE YOUR SETTING WAS BEFORE YOU RE-ADJUST.

So I've already done this but my interpretation of what it's saying is to run the screw all the way clockwise until it stops. Then back it off 3 turns for it to be at it's fastest. Is that wrong?

That's not entirely responsible. What about the wine industry? They need your support too.

Last edited:
So took the side of the power valve off. Found the actuator arm snapped. Welded her back on temporarily. Will source and order one end of the month. It's very dirty in there. Anyway. Here's a pic of it snapped

Attachments

• IMG_20200203_094638.jpg
    IMG_20200203_094638.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 45
Haha, funny what you find. Great news though. Check movement doesn't drag on anything, I had to adjust mine carefully although they have changed them from my oldie it looks.

So took the side of the power valve off. Found the actuator arm snapped. Welded her back on temporarily. Will source and order one end of the month. It's very dirty in there. Anyway. Here's a pic of it snapped

At least you found the source of the problem :cool:

Oils cheap, that looks well neglected :(

I agree that oil sludge looks pretty bad. What brand and type of trans oil and premix are you using?

I agree that oil sludge looks pretty bad. What brand and type of trans oil and premix are you using?

I've only had the bike 2 months. It had deffinutly been neglected before hand. I've changed the trans oil 3 times since I've had it. Running motul 10wt40 in there. Any suggestions on the best trans oil for it? I am running Castrol racing 2t 2 stroke oil. Running it at 2%. But again. I don't know what the bikes been Through before me. Should see the state on the electrics 🤣. Lucky I'm a sparky. I'll spend a day on them in the summer and get it sorted. Just Gona take it back to basics with it as it's a mess 🤣I'll get the top end done on it soon to

I run Motul Transoil Expert , if I run normal Transoil the clutch drags.

Read the jetting thread. Main improvement is anything other than the std needle.

I run Motul Transoil Expert , if I run normal Transoil the clutch drags.

Read the jetting thread. Main improvement is anything other than the std needle.

Yeah I will have to try and get my head around that. There is plenty of power there for me at the moment tho. I get some clutch howl I've noticed. When struggling like. What can I do to reduce that?

Back