motogroove

Poached from RMD:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738438

Posted by the guys at KTMWorld on the Georgia Offroad website:

Our Woodstock store got hit by some pros last night. They knew exactly what
they were doing, cut all power, cut phone lines, cut everything that looked
like a phone line. Broke in, disabled the alarm, took about 20 new KTM's,
along with apparel, etc. We have been able to get the power, phones, and
alarm functional again, and we are open for business at both stores.

If by any chance you happen to see a lot of mostly 2011 and 2012 KTM's
someplace odd, like in the back of a U-Haul truck, please call the police.

Wow! that should show up,, try to unload that much new hardware.. hope you catch them! Next time I go down to Atlanta I'll stop in.. My S-I-L lives in woodstock.

Might be a good idea to post this info on some flat track/ ATV racing forums. Those groups seem to get involved with custom-frames and engine swaps alot more often than the MX off-road crowd. It really makes your blood boil when you hear of these things. I hope all goes well(as much as it can ) for the KTM shop.

You never know

I would have thought it very hard to get rid of 20 bikes a time ago, but not after what I saw a few months back.

The story goes Parts Unlimited Rep. comes into the shop I worked at and starts to show the owner a post by a Chinese man on an industry forum. Its a general motorcross forum and the post is about how the Chinese make replica bikes that look like name brand models. Since it is illegal to purchase bikes made out side of China, however there is a market for bringing in stolen imports illegally for people to ride.

The long and the short is the man posting had a picture that said which bike is the fake and which is the imported bike. In the picture was a real Kawasaki that had our shops fender sticker on the front fender! No kidding and best we can tell it is a totally legit post and no one ever said anything about where it came from in the post. Yeah it was nuts. We had a few customers with Kawi's of that vintage and it was bought or stolen and loaded on the slow boat to China!

I would have thought it very hard to get rid of 20 bikes a time ago, but not after what I saw a few months back.

The story goes Parts Unlimited Rep. comes into the shop I worked at and starts to show the owner a post by a Chinese man on an industry forum. Its a general motorcross forum and the post is about how the Chinese make replica bikes that look like name brand models. Since it is illegal to purchase bikes made out side of China, however there is a market for bringing in stolen imports illegally for people to ride.

The long and the short is the man posting had a picture that said which bike is the fake and which is the imported bike. In the picture was a real Kawasaki that had our shops fender sticker on the front fender! No kidding and best we can tell it is a totally legit post and no one ever said anything about where it came from in the post. Yeah it was nuts. We had a few customers with Kawi's of that vintage and it was bought or stolen and loaded on the slow boat to China!

I used to work at a dealership up in Ontario and about twice a year we would have "midnight madness" sales to clear out used bikes. It never failed that about quarter of 12 some migrant workers would come in with wads of cash in their hands looking to scoop up anything with wheels. They'd buy everything and pack a container for the Caribbean - must have paid better than picking turnips and made them heroes back home.

Maybe the new way is to skip the cash part ...

Back