03 starter clucth

Do you keep putting the same one back in ? This is the first I have heard of starter clutch problem. Give us some more details on your problem.

starter clutch orfreewheel

its the part behind the fly wheel its got about 50 litle arms and they ride on the crank shaft behind the fly wheel after a few enduros the llitle pins start falling out last time they took magnito out to

In the past on other bike/quads backfiring while starting puts a beating on them. I had problems with one on a quad once and was just replacing what I thought looked worn. I finally replace all the starter clutch inner hub outer hub and sprag. Have not had a problem since. I'm sure that it was the backfiring that originally ruined the starter clutch. I know they're not cheap. I really don't know what the one on a gg looks like I'm just assuming they are like most the 4 strokes out there.

On the 2002 and 2003 FSE the stater clutch had a problem of failing when the motor kicked back in 2004 Gas Gas fitted new gears to the starter motor with a clutch built into the gear.
To help prevent your problem you will need the new 2004 gears (one of them has a nut in the centre of it that holds the clutch pack and the other gear is on a spiral.
Also check that your bike is cranking over fast enough to spin the motor.
If you can find someone who knows what they are doing reset your throttle body butterfly angle ( your Gas Gas dealer should know how to do this).

Does anyone know a dealer, who would know to go about ordering these parts? As well, "Will Know what there talking about?
My Dealer doesn't have a clue, what we're talking about... gasit16

03 fse starter clutch

keeps falling apart what can i do

hi mate ive got an 03 fse as well. ive had three starter bearings
so far . it is when it back fires that causes the bearing to go the
wrong way and slowly smashes it to bits. ive found that each time
the engine stops during rides, if you turn the ignition off, wait a few seconds,
turn back on ,and wait again for a few seconds for the bike to reset its self,
it should make it a lot easier. let me know how you get on. cheers Rob

Yes, I had to replace it on my 03. The part was about $220, $9 for a GasGas flywheel puller. A few metric tools and about a hour to install with a little help from an online maunal. I ordered it from a dealer I found online.
Where do you live? Are you in the US?

If you order the gears from your Gas Gas dealer they should have them or be able to get them from Spain. Gas Gas Spain only supply the new gears now.
I will try and get the part numbers for you.
But before you fit the new starter clutch (this is the one way clutch behind the fly wheel ) it would be best to fit the new gears so you dont have the same problem.

Starter Gear '04 upgrade

I'm having the same problem on my '03 400. Bob Piper at North Tahoe Motorsports confirmed the same problem on my bike and said it needs the starter gear upgrade that the '04 bikes got which is essentially a series of gears that act like a worm gear so when it does back fire the gears gradually work themselves back to absorb the impact as opposed to the single gear which takes all the impact w/o any give either damaging the gears leaving a tooth in the motor or damaging the starter clutch which I just replaced and costs $386.00. Here's the parts list for the upgrade to the 'or starter gears.
MFS450526510 gear $64.06
MFS45042651012 gear $145.74 not sure if that last 1 is a 1 or a / double check.
MFS450526521 gear $47.41
MFS450526522 gear $76.06
MFS450526523 clip $5.37
(2) MFS450426524 washers $4.88pr.
So, you can keep forking out $386 to fix the problem or spend the additional $344 plus labor and solve the problem.

broken starter

Hi, My 03 450 trashed the starter gear behind the flywheel as well! Fitted 04 gears and been 100% ever since.I also found out the ratchet pawl behind the flywheel is made by a company called ringspann.The part is called steelcage freewheel sf44/20kz part no is 3673.044.610.000000.this item is loads cheaper than buying the full starter assembly from gasgas.I hope this helps!
Jim UK.

Back