'05 EC300 - 1.8 Radiator Cap okay?

mtnmanseth

My bike has a 1.2 radiator cap on it, and it has puked coolant a few times lately on gnarly steep prolonged climbs above 5,000 feet. Normal trail riding with occasional technical section it's fine. Tusk makes a 1.8 Bar radiator cap with a temperature gauge built in for $25... will this jump in pressure rating damage anything? If so, should I go to 1.4 Bar instead?

My bike has a 1.2 radiator cap on it, and it has puked coolant a few times lately on gnarly steep prolonged climbs above 5,000 feet. Normal trail riding with occasional technical section it's fine. Tusk makes a 1.8 Bar radiator cap with a temperature gauge built in for $25... will this jump in pressure rating damage anything? If so, should I go to 1.4 Bar instead?

1.8 bar is fine. I run 1.8 on my 250 and 300.

Okay, thanks. I've never "upgraded" a radiator cap before... what "size" is it? I see that there are caps to fit Japanese bikes and caps for KTMs. Which do I want?

Rocky Mountain ATV has the Tusk for the GG300. Part #1638630002. That is a cool bit of kit, and I happen to have $10 RMATV credit at hand. Hm.

Ninja edit - The part number above is a 2.0 Bar cap. Is that too much pressure for the stock system?

Rocky Mountain ATV has the Tusk for the GG300. Part #1638630002. That is a cool bit of kit, and I happen to have $10 RMATV credit at hand. Hm.

Ninja edit - The part number above is a 2.0 Bar cap. Is that too much pressure for the stock system?

That Tusk cap from Rocky Mountain is the one I was hoping to buy... but in the 1.8 Bar. I tried to ask their customer service if they were going to get any more 1.8 Bar in stock (they only have 2.0 Bar), but he wouldn't tell me because he couldn't find my bike in their system! They wouldn't exchange my money for product because they didn't trust that I knew what I want to buy. Have had LOTS of good experiences with RMATV, but that scared me off. Check eBay instead

That Tusk cap from Rocky Mountain is the one I was hoping to buy... but in the 1.8 Bar. I tried to ask their customer service if they were going to get any more 1.8 Bar in stock (they only have 2.0 Bar), but he wouldn't tell me because he couldn't find my bike in their system! They wouldn't exchange my money for product because they didn't trust that I knew what I want to buy. Have had LOTS of good experiences with RMATV, but that scared me off. Check eBay instead

The KTM cap will fit the GG, because I bought a (OEM, $40 ouch!) KTM 1.8 cap for my 2011 EC300, which is the same cap as all of the GG lineup. So if they ever get the KTM 1.8 in stock, it should fit your bike.

Here's one on Amazon, but it's more expensive than RMATV. My only concern is that the 1.8 is only listed for the 2016 model, and the 2.0 s for the rest of the KTMs. I know that the orange bikes like to overheat, but will the 2.0 make that much of a difference?

Back