'07 Mc 125

roostafish

Gold Level Site Supporter
I had the opportunity to ride my dealer (Gran Prix Cycle) MC 125. Last fall I was considering the purchase of a YZ 125 to make my run at the ISDE qualifiers this year. This was after riding one and being very impressed with it's light weight and stunning engine performance. Granted, it's been a while since I rode that Yamaha, but I rode the Gas Gas yesterday and was similarly impressed. I can't hardly believe how this thing just snaps to life and pulls hard into the top end. It is very responsive to the clutch. It's been a long time since I've owned a 125, but I think I could get along with it just fine in the woods. I'd even say, with all the lemmings on their 450's, I could even have LOTS of fun.

I like the '01 my nephew rides, I'd love to try a new one. Not sure if I could get along with it as my only bike though, although my nephew has no problem on the steep rocky hills here.

How about that new Husky 150? The guys that are riding the 144 kits on the 125s sure seem to like 'em a lot.

Light sure does sound appealing to me these days. Too bad those electric jobs don't go longer on a charge...

Too tall would be an issue for my short legs too. How much taller are they? Is the 125 same ergos as the bigger bikes? I gotta look into this a bit more...

Is there a big bore kit available for the GG 125? The GG uses the same frame as the 250/300's right?

Huskys are significantly taller than GGs, across the range of displacement, and have an overall bigger feel. They have their quirks but hold up well, my brother sill rides his '02 WR250 with the original lower end. Suspension is not as good stock either, at least up to '07 GG.

The GG 125 frame is different than the 200/250/300, basically in the cradle. Dimensionially its close but it is different. It wouldn't be accurate to compare my '07 250 to the '01 125. It also wouldn't be fair to compare the '01s weight to a new Husky or even new GG, but I can tell you that the GG 125 is tough just like the bigger bikes, and all of the chassis hardware is the same.

Before I bought my Duc, I was planning on getting a left over '07 MC125 and doing a woods conversion with a 144 kit. I talked to a lot of people about their Yamaha big bores, since the engines are somewhat close in design. Conclusion was a mixed bag with a fair amount of poor reliability reports. I know the stock bike is solid but I'd really have to spend more time on it in different conditions before I'm sure I'd like it as a 125. So that, and the fact that Dixie at the time was being stupid about the price on a non-current low demand bike, made me decide to forget it for the time being. I do think less is more though, and a smaller bike may be in my future.

In comparison to a Husky, the Gas Gas feels much different. To me, the Husky is pretty soft on power, but certainly enough to get the job done. The Gas Gas has a lot more snap.
Ergonomically, I felt instantly at home when compared to my '08 250. I'm not sure this bike needs a 144 kit. Maybe it would be nice, but it works so good as it, that I'd hate to ruin that setup. The jetting was solid, and even the suspension felt really good (on an mx track). The suspension was bone stock. The whole bike is bone stock.

The '01 was flat until I completely rejetted the carb from scratch, then it pulled good. I have not ridden any other recent 125s to compare it too, but the kid loves it and makes it fly. I hope this bike becomes more main stream, with parts in stock, as it would be a nice option to those of us who would like to try a smal bore and keep the GG ergos.

I know where you can get a nice '07! It has the original tires on it still, though they need to be replaced. I'd guess 300 miles or so on the bike. He told me he'd make someone a great deal on that bike too.

My 07' EC125 has been downright bulletproof, the only thing that killed it was when the piston finally gave in, and that wasnt a gasgas part, silly wiseco...
I think it was run without the water pump functioning (when I split the cases the clip that holds the waterpump gear on was missing) :eek: :eek:
It will be a sad day when I see it go, as it was my first 2 stroke, first proper bike(suspension, power, brakes etc.) first gasgas aswell. :p
But it will be replaced by an 07 200

I thought it was a very capable bike and taught me how to ride much better than I should have. I would love to keep it but alas, things cant always work out the way we want. I would definitely get one again if the opportunity arose. Just something about wringing a 125 out around a enduro special test and passing big bikes :rolleyes:

Price will have to be adjusted somewhat as well to compete with the Huskys. Those are being blown out real cheap. The Husky is ready to go so its tough to beat from a marketing standpoint. This, and the 250F options are tough competition. I think die hard GG riders like us might pay a little more for the GG125, but not a lot more. A new, factory 200 motor based on the 125 like the KTM200 in that chassis would be a great bike.

For this particular bike, I think you'd be looking at about $3000. I didn't pin him down on a price, but if you're interested, or have an offer, PM me and I'll float it to him.

Will this bike haul a fat (210 lb.), old (40), wood guy?

Just sold my '03 EC250 and looking to replace it with something "fun" to ride in the Oregon woods. Been considering a 300, but I know we have a few locals on Husky 125's and they love 'em.

I have owned 2 KTM200's in the past and they were a hoot in the woods.

What about some of our nasty hills? Can it make it up with some clutch work?

Thanks Mike but I'm not in a position to buy a second bike just yet. I was talking in general terms about price, as 125s have always been cheaper.

The 125 climbs the big rock hills here fine, and these are technical hills that sap momentum. The bike pulls good for what it is, not as good as a KTM200(I had one too) but it doesn't vibrate anywhere near as bad either.

Will this bike haul a fat (210 lb.), old (40), wood guy?

Just sold my '03 EC250 and looking to replace it with something "fun" to ride in the Oregon woods. Been considering a 300, but I know we have a few locals on Husky 125's and they love 'em.

I have owned 2 KTM200's in the past and they were a hoot in the woods.

What about some of our nasty hills? Can it make it up with some clutch work?

I'm similar weight and have a TM125. The problem I find is in situations where momentum is lost. Such as coming out of a slow corner onto a steep climb. Or getting the bike moving again in deep mud where there is very little grip. I'm going to try changing the exhaust valve rate and fitting a flywheel weight, but am not sure how dramatic the effects are likely to be. EC300 to finish rebuilding though before turning attention back to the 125 :D

I'm a good bit lighter than 200lbs. 125s work for me, but there's a reason I ride a 250. It's easier. 125's are plenty capable for someone of my weight (160lbs). In fact, if I rode at China Hat (central Oregon High desert) all the time, I'm faster on a 125, 'cause you just hold it open and row, just dodge the pine trees.
I've always been able to go right up the hills. I used to race a KTM 125, then a Husky 125. Out in the Tillamook burn area, where the ground is slick, and the hills are long and steep, littered with roots and rocks, I had no problem going right up. Momentum is your friend on a 125.
I honestly think that you could have a lot of fun on a 125, but if I were to choose a bike for you, I'd probably go to a bigger steed. However, I know a dude who's 225lbs, and swears by 125's. He also swears by Honda's, so his sanity is in question. After proofreading this, it's kind of disjointed, but the information is what was intended.

Hey Mike,

Great info and very helpful.

I do think the 125 would be a fun ride and probably killer in the more flowing terrain which I acutally prefer. But, there are times when we do hit some more technical steep stuff and that is where my largeness concerns me.

I also noticed you said your 250 is "easier". I know exactly what you are talking about, and I do like a bike that, if you want, you can just get lazy, ride a gear high and let the bike do the work.

Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.

Back