2005 FSE 450 fuel light question

houndog

Hi Guys, This is probably a dumb question, ok, I know it is but I can't seem to find a "for sure" answer. Since the bike holds so little fuel and not easily drained and I do not want to run it low I'll ask the question!

What the heck is the light for? Low fuel? Low pressure (read that somewhere)? Nothing in the manual.

The bike was "new". Never sold. I've got about 500 miles now. 3 oil/filter changes.

I also have a 2004 EC300 bought the same way 2 years ago, 4500 miles, no issues! The list of bikes we've (wife and I) run through trying to get "happy" in the last couple years is crazy. I traded my "Bunny", a crazy CR250 way too much stuff, all the "right stuff" to name and a killer KX125 and a bunch of other stuff for the 450. The 450 and 300 have tags! That's why I gave away 2 of the bikes I loved for the 450. Oh, that and the fact the GG just simply kick axe!

It's a little odd to not be on the search for another "better" bike. Wife settled on CRF230L (tagged) and now I'm happy and done with the 2 GG. All others are gone!

Now, if I just knew what that darn light is really for!

Thanks for any info you can share!
Ed

Thanks Nick. I suspected as much. I never trusted petcocks either until I tested them. Seen them with cracked or broken tubes giving one a false sense of security!

Considering GG gives us the "kick stand from Hell" I'd never trust a "low fuel light"!

The 450 is almost like an electric bike with it's small tank and thirsty appetite...you know, crap for range. Except you can recharge it with swill from any gas station in about a minute in an emergency. I only use tested (I test every batch) ethanol free so this is seldom an option. . We went for a ride last night, got a couple miles away realized I had 27 miles on the tank and turned around and filled up. Not about to put swill in it if I don't have to!

Thanks again for the fast reply, I hate "not knowing things".
Ed

The fuel indicator as Nick says is not to be trusted. I think you will find that it is a pressure switch within the fuel pump/regulator assembly inside the tank. If it is illuminated it means the tank is so empty the pump is drawing air and the pressure is low in the injector circuit. When I had the pump to regulator hose split inside the tank it came on even though the tank was nearly full.

Thanks Qui-gon that was my understanding. I knew better than trust it but I really wanted to know it's real function!
Ed

I've ridden 15-20mins with the light flashing before flame out.

Maybe the function varies year on year or bike to bike based on Gas Gas's QA? My 06 definitely only has 2 wires to the pump which is the lower part. The other 2 for the switch end much higher up in the tank (reg I think) so maybe some do actually have a level switch? From experience mine runs like a bag of spanners with the light on!

Back