2011 300 XC- durability test

BrentMartell

Well the bike has close to 3000 miles so far and only one mechanical issue...the almighty starter. GG put out a fix it ticket for the bikes of a certain VIN number and although the starter is not perfect it works pretty well. I rode some super fun and technical trail this past weekend and was surrounded by KTM's so it needed to be on it's game. It didn't dissapoint. I had the opportunity to ride a 2012 KTM 300 XC and although I wanted to....I really didn't want to get off my GG. The bike was working so well for me I just didn't care. It seems like the gnarlier the trails the better, the motor is smooth and meaty, the chassis is comfortable, and handling is accurate. Although my forks are worked over pretty good the Ohlins rear is stock and works great.

I had a few concerns: clutch durability, motor noise, and rear brake fade. My rear brakes heat up easily so I added a brake res with fins. That helped a lot. The motor noise, it is just rattley but it has not changed since day 1. The clutch I figured would fail. I hammered that clutch this past weekend in stuff that Shane Watts even said gave him a go. Well not that I could see. Norm Watts was riding a 350 XC and that thing was boiling over, we added water to it. A couple of the other KTMs were spitting too. OK anyway, the clutch....never barked one single time. It was spot on and worked smoothly. My GG has yet to boil BTW. I am really impressed with that.

So bottom-line, yep, the bike is doing quite well. Wore out a chain, sprockets, lots of tires, and brake pads.....all else is good. GG has built a solid bike from what I can tell.

Although I will be riding a KTM at the ISDE in Finland this year I will be looking forward to riding the GG when I get back home. The more I ride and tweak this bike the more I like it. Braaaaap. Hopefully this little info helps anyone who is NEW to GG and concerned about the bike going the distance.

Additional info: I am running a Hyde Skid plate, Clarke 3.2, and fastway FIT system and foot pegs. The skid plate is coming apart and never fit well. Even though I was assured it was the right set up I am sure it is not. My buddy has the same plate and it fits perfectly. The Clarke will be replaced as soon as an acceptable tank is found. I would run the stocker if it would give me the range I need. I tend to ride close to 100 miles every time out and the stocker will not give me the range I want even when I pack extra fuel. The bike actually gets very good mileage and I have seen 35 mpg. So if someone is interested I will sell the clarke tank. Originally I planned to keep it for desert racing but I think I might retire from that. I don't mind packing fuel either. 1.5 gallons in the back pack is no big deal.

Last edited:
Great report mate!

I am finding the same same same! My 2010 has gone through the normal consumables. Brakes Tyres and soon to be chain and sprockets. The kick starter sheered a few teeth on the shaft and since being fixed by the dealer has developed an issue with the return spring not engaging fully. Will be talking to them about this soon. I can live with it as is for the moment.

Fresh top end at 70hrs which was still in great condition. Ring gap was minimal at 0.4mm and 0.41mm. It had run a little hot at times as indicated by the burn patterns and also showed a hot spot on the underside of the crown.

It never once boiled on me even while running in tropical conditions, high temps with muddy single track.

Have to agree with everything you've said. The only thing I'm bummed about is that I haven't had a chance to try a 200 and 250 in the gg range :D

Jakobi,
I had the same fault (kickstarter issue),on my 07 after rebuilding it and spoke to Donny from scotties.
You need to align the spring in the slot and then ensure there is enough spring tension to get the kickstarter to fully kick back.
Obviously whoever fixed your kickstart did not check the tension.
Give Donny a call at scotties and he'll sort you out.
Cheers Mark

Cheers Mark,

Was the shop that did the work so I'll send it back and they can fix it up again.. Seems only fair to me! You'd have a few kms on the 07 now :)

I've done this fix too. Basic fault of some kickstart mechanisms was a too soft spring, the one that preloads the rachet. This caused the gears to not fully engage at times, and the edges of the teeth would be slightly damaged. If you catch it early, as soon as you detect a slip, likely the spring alone will fix it. From what I heard it was just on some '07s. Mark is right, if you still have trouble your dealer did not assemble it correctly.

A GG will always "out cool" a KTM. We have some long, steep, and slow rock hill climbs here. A buddy's KTM 250 XCW will be steaming at the top, all the GGs and even my bro's Husky are fine. Even the 125 GG thats screaming its guts out keeps its cool. In slow technical terrain four strokes are a nightmare, only waterless coolant makes them rideable.

As far as the rattle, adjust your powervalve.

Yep, 200 km at Hattah added to it too. Bike ran like a dream all race, pity about the rider.( I was buggered after the 5th lap.)
Chheers Mark

Cheers Mark,

Was the shop that did the work so I'll send it back and they can fix it up again.. Seems only fair to me! You'd have a few kms on the 07 now :)

Brent,
Thanks for the update. It says a lot when someone who rides as hard as you obviously must is so happy with their equipment. Please keep up the posts.

I'll give my durability report at the end of the racing season on my 11' six days 250. I do have parts that broke and or fell apart that were not my fault,they were warranteed, along with the amount of hrs on the bike that they happened.

Last edited:
Dido good report
My bikes have been good just some little thing that I don't like but it must be fine for every one else they haven't changed those thing in years

Additional info: I am running a Hyde Skid plate, Clarke 3.2, and fastway FIT system and foot pegs. The skid plate is coming apart and never fit well. Even though I was assured it was the right set up I am sure it is not. My buddy has the same plate and it fits perfectly. The Clarke will be replaced as soon as an acceptable tank is found. I would run the stocker if it would give me the range I need. I tend to ride close to 100 miles every time out and the stocker will not give me the range I want even when I pack extra fuel. The bike actually gets very good mileage and I have seen 35 mpg. So if someone is interested I will sell the clarke tank. Originally I planned to keep it for desert racing but I think I might retire from that. I don't mind packing fuel either. 1.5 gallons in the back pack is no big deal.

What don't you like about the Clarke Tank?

Greg

Back