2018 ec300 Started manually first time

gasser

I've owned this bike for 9 months and it has always started perfectly hot or cold in gear or out with the electric starter until last Saturday. On the trail I fired it up with the button and the starter hung engaged and made a squealing noise. I shut the motor down but the starter kept going until it fried the starter relay. Battery seems ok and still has 13.5 volts. I have not taken the starter apart yet to see if there's any damage with it but will soon. I will start by checking my starter switch (a cheap chinese switch I got on Amazon) but if it's ok then I the only thing that makes sense to me is that the relay stuck. Am I missing something here? Could it have been a mechanical issue with the starter? The starter has never been wet modded but I assume the previous owner did the other recomended mods to get it working that well.

Yep sounds like a faulty starter relay. They can get welded contacts internally and short out. Double check the Chinese switch and look for any pinched wiring too.

Back