2018 GP Tuning

markwoodlief

Gold Level Site Supporter
So i started with an EC, that i specifically asked for since I'm almost 50 and not as fast as I used to be.
I ended up with a GP300, (long story). And after the factory fixes it's back in my garage and rideable.
My question is how to tame the beast? I've been on 4t bikes for awhile, although had a KTM 300 for many years as well.
The GP is a fire breathing dragon. Serious arm stretcher with a very very touchy throttle. On my trials bike i just got the white throttle tube and it tamed my 280 very much and is way more controllable, especially in tough sections.

Curious if anyone has tried that with the new GG Enduro bikes?

In the past on my 300's I experimented with the suzuki needles and the G2 throttle cam system.

I'm actually looking to pick up an 18 XC300, so will post what I end up doing to it.

My 300 GP runs great with the N3CJ #2, 42 pilot and 180 main in Ohio.Very linear power. I have my power valve set at the standard 2 turns.

Was told by a very knowledgeable unnamed source that it's the High Compression Head that is making it so dramatically different than the EC. :).. SO loving the power, but the throttle needs tamed a touch for my old body. :)

It’s the jetting that makes it so “pipey”. Throw that p.o.s. N1EF needle in the trash can and get a N3CH or N3CJ needle with a 42p and a 180 main. Still a nice hit but mega bottom end. The NEDW needle works OK to but is rather rich on bottom and causes the bike to load up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

memphis2857; The NEDW needle works OK to but is rather rich on bottom and causes the bike to load up. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
I have to second the suggestion of a Suzuki needle and the G2 #400 throttle, that will make it much more like a 4stroke. The throttle was a must for me when I had my 300 but I don't need it on my 250 (even though I have minor muscle control issues) so you might get by with just a needle change. I run a NEDW in my 250 and it is a huge difference from the N3-- I was running. It runs super clean right from idle and it will crawl around for hours and never load up. Yes it is a little rich on the bottom but that makes it strong without being snappy and like I said it never loads up. My 250 runs just a little flat in the midrange but that shouldn't be a problem on a 300. My bike revs out fine on top.

I got the maiden voyage in on the XC 300 I bought yesterday. Coming off a YZ250X the motor had a little more bottom end and lugged very well. It did not hit hard to me, at least not compared to the YZX. The jetting is really not good stock IMHO. Blubbery on the bottom and then hits when you get on the pipe. Going to try an NECJ needle next week.

I got the maiden voyage in on the XC 300 I bought yesterday. Coming off a YZ250X the motor had a little more bottom end and lugged very well. It did not hit hard to me, at least not compared to the YZX. The jetting is really not good stock IMHO. Blubbery on the bottom and then hits when you get on the pipe. Going to try an NECJ needle next week.

I suggest N3CH or NEDJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NEC is halfclip leaner than NED.
Other riders/members have often found NED #2 for pre 18 250/300,my 200 likes NEC #3 (NED 2.5)depending elev etc.But the 18 is a little unknown i guess..some internal changes? (if the stock needle is same as previous you should be sweet)Be sure and post results.Should be a very useful comparison and setup info(for when i manage to convince the other half i really need an 18!)

The NEC is halfclip leaner than NED.
Other riders/members have often found NED #2 for pre 18 250/300,my 200 likes NEC #3 (NED 2.5)depending elev etc.But the 18 is a little unknown i guess..some internal changes? (if the stock needle is same as previous you should be sweet)Be sure and post results.Should be a very useful comparison and setup info(for when i manage to convince the other half i really need an 18!)

I am not a fan of the stock needle on the 18. I have the NECJ Suzuki needle, N3CH, and N3CJ to try out.

Back