400 Fse '02-03

samr

Lord help me, I've just bought a 02-03 FSE 400 and yes, you guessed it, cannot start the thing either by key, kickstart or clutchstart.
I have read of the required upgrades/modifications to make the machine easier to start, particularly from the key, and want to make sure I have my info correct. I am also very much hoping to get contact details (preferrably email addresses or websites) of those places which can supply the required parts.
Please understand I am in Australia, so need to have items shipped accordingly.

So far I am aware of the following requirements -

manual chain tensioner to replace automatic unit

'04 gearset for starter motor

'04 kickstart lever

Of the above, the ks lever I can probably source domestically.

Any help in regards to these or other required/worthwhile mods to make this bike start will be most gratefully received. She's a lovely bit of gear, but I really would like to ride it, not just admire it!

Cheers, Sam.

Thanks Adam, really appreciate your reply, would be great to have a good source here in Aus, I'll hunt them down and contact them.
The local dealer here, I wouldn't bother even walking into the shop.
We had some luck with the 400 this arvo, popped a new battery into her and after a couple small turns on the throttle she fired up and off she went. Flippin' stoked or what!
Will still hunt down that manual tensioner though, sounds like a very worthwhile mod and not very costly either, even if buying from the States.
Cheers.

Rang and spoke to a gent at Scottys, knew instantly what I was talking about, very helpful and will be a pleasure to deal with.
Will check those sites out Adam, sincere thanks for your help!
Cheers.

G'day, I too own an 02 fse 400 that i bought new. It is a magic motorbike when the electrics are right! I would strongly reccomend you purchase a smart charger for your battery that will keep it fully charged all the time. When the battery is a little flat it runs like a dog and starts like a mule. The efi requires 12 volts or it just wont work. Bear in mind that this model was the first fuel injected dirt bike ever so there were bound to be a few bugs. The japs have only just figured out efi on a dirt bike(probably after copying gasgas)and the latest gassers have batteryless efi now.
Make sure that the main battery cable connections are all tight and add a drop of loctite to their bolts so that they cannot come loose.

Back