450,500 and DRZ interchangabilty of eng Parts

cal_tony

Thinking about some motor mods on my 2004 450 FSE. Since I have both a DRZ400 and the GG I have noted all the interchangeability of motor parts between the 2. Heads, valves, 400 cc pistons to name just a few parts. In looking at the DRZ engine parts manual and the GG parts manual in many places it looks like they even share the same drawings.

So my first question which I hadn't seen previously addressed is will the cranks also interchange? Or if they don't, is there a 5mm stroker crank avail for the GG.

Second question. From looking at the GG parts lists for a number of years and models, it appears that the 450cc cylinders and 500cc cylinders can be interchanged. Is it as simple as that?

Finally, I am in the market to purchase a 4 stroke motor or motors any years, any condition.

Tony

Similar yes, interchangeable I don't think so. Other than valve shims maybe... Unless someone has actually done this.... (DRZ to GG I mean)

AFAIK, valves and cams are interchangable between DRZ and the GG 400, but not 450 or 515.

have fun,

j.

Jiauka,

My read of page 11 of the 2004 parts manual is that the head casting is in some way different on the 450 from the 400 but everything else is the same including the cams and valves and just about everything else. Which still brings me to my question of parts interchangeability between the various models of the GG 400, 450,500 and the DRZ. Evidently DRZ cams, valves,etc. are interchangeable between the 2 brands on the 400s and even the early 450s.
The part numbers of the 2 head castings are different, but that doesn't mean they are not interchangeable.

I still question if the heads, cylinders and cranks are interchangeable between the 2 brands?

And finally, will the cylinders interchange between the various models of the GG?

Tony

BIGTOOL,

Actually in looking for a SM project I was thinking of seeing if A DRZ 5mm stroker crank and a GG 500 cylinder would fit a 450 GG FSE. That would give it about 550cc and quite a bit more power.

I see the GG frame and the GG motor as improvements of the basic DRZ design, so I could see no advantage other than necessity to putting a DRZ motor into a GG frame.

The advantage of the DRZ motor is that lots of aftermarket power options are avail. and if they would also fit the GG that would make for a more impressive GG.

I like my DRZ 400sm but it is what it is. I also like the 450GG as it is, but unlike the DRZ, it seems to have so much more untapped potential as a SM.

Tony

Tony,
I agree with you completely... The rumor was that the GG 400/450 motor was basically licensed from or developed by Yoshimura Suzuki. I don't know any of the details, but you can plainly see the Suzuki influence on design. With that in mind, you might try contacting someone at Yoshimura to find out what they know about it all. I remember Mike Kiedrowski won the first W.O.R.C.S championship on a Yosh DRZ450. and Kevin Schwantz has a seriously badass DRZ450 supermoto.
Good Luck with it! Keep us posted on what you find out.

BIGTOOL,

I have heard the same thing. Something else that I had also heard was that a number of years ago Yoshimura Suzuki was so impressed with the GG six speed xmission that they put together a few 6 speed DRZs for testing. Nothing ever came of it and those bikes now seem to have disappeared.

I don't plan on pursuing that avenue, but in time I will get some spare DRZ motors and GG motors and start doing the internal comparisons myself.

I do like to tinker.

Tony

Back