50:1 or 40:1 with ltr jet kit?

moff747

I am about to fit an ltr jet kit to my ec300 2002, The kit came with a 45 pilot and is saying the kit is based around the bike using 40:1 mix. I have never had any problems using putoline mx7 at 50:1 and was planning to continue at with it. Question is, would I need to go down a pilot size using 50:1 as there will be more fuel in the mix than using 40:1? I have never had to use a pilot over 40. I know LTR have all the experiance and know their stuff. Am I worrying about nothing, Im thinking of giving the 45 a go and see how it goes. Im in the Uk riding in normal summer conditions (up to 20 c so far with a dry day if im lucky!) at not much more than see level. Just looking for peoples opinions. Thanks

I don't recall seeing anything about 40:1 in my kit. I run 50:1 and a 45 pilot. Jetting is all relative to your location however.

I went out and dug up my ltr jet kit instructions from a few yrs back (06)
suggested ratio is 36:1 mobil mx2t suggested. I ran mx2t w/the 45 for almost 2 yrs, at 50:1 .... always seemed rich off the bottom. recently changed to a 42 but that seems a touch lean... no more spooge tho!! maybe i should try the 45 w/36:1??

I have a LTR kit and I'm using a 45 pilot with a 180 main on my EC250 2008 and have been using Denicol S2 full synthetic at 50:1 with excellent results, no spooge at all!

LTR Kit 42P, needle 2nd pos, 178 main, Motul 50:1. 0 spooge. Bike runs great. I ride from 300 - 1100 feet elevation for the most part. I got the bike in late spring so I have only ridden in weather 70 - 100 degrees.

Don't mean to turn this into a jetting thread.

tim whats your air screw position?? Needle is 2nd position form the top or 2nd position from the bottom on the needle. w/the 42, middle needle position and airscrew 1 turn out my 06 300 was still just a touch lean. using the top slot in the needle as position one, moving the needle to position 2 (lowering the needle) would make my bike even more lean would'nt it? we ride similar elevation but I gotta guess you deal with alot more humidity then i do.

2nd from the top. My air screw is @ 1.5 turns out. Humidity is pretty bad around here.

I originally had 45 and 3rd position on the needle, but was a little rich.
This was very apparent on a ride I went to in the mountains near Chattanooga TN.
Went to a 42 and was still getting spooge, and seemed a little off.
Went to the 2nd position from top and that was it. It works very well here in the south.
This was the setting that Jim Cook recommended when we talked the night before the Trainrobbers Enduro. He was right.

I may have to go back to 45 and 3rd when winter comes around.

LTR Kit 42P, needle 2nd pos, 178 main, Motul 50:1. 0 spooge. Bike runs great. I ride from 300 - 1100 feet elevation for the most part. I got the bike in late spring so I have only ridden in weather 70 - 100 degrees.

Don't mean to turn this into a jetting thread.

I was just told that same exact thing two weeks ago by Billy Burns.

hmmm I rode today w/42 3rd slot on cck needle 1 turn out on air screw temps about 85 no real humidity. 60% pump premium/40% race gas. bike ran chitty from around 0 to say 1/3 throttle. but heres the scary part ... I did a plug chop at about 55 mph 6th gear about 3/4 maybe more throttle. Not really ringing its kneck but on the gas, running a 178 main ... plug was scary white ... like holy fug! ... lets not do that again. Whats up wit dat?? at 3/4 or better that should be all main jet shouldn't it. The plug was very white with a slight yellowish tint.

I did another pull at not so high a speed say 40 to 45 and it was still white but not so scary looking. everything 1/2 throttle or less was fine

I was going to go back to a 45 and run 40:1 and put the 180 back in.

I'd give the 42 in the second slot a try but the white plug on the 178 has got me puzzled as lots of people seem to be running the 178.

I'm wondering if something else could contribute to the lean on top other than the 178?? Did the top end about 10 hours ago. Have been watching the rad fluid level and that has not gone down and the tranny oil is not all milky.

any idea whats up. seems like it would take more than a 180 to get rid of all that white!!

The taper angle of the CCK will effectively lean out in the 3/4 throttle range campared to a triple taper needle (N1Ex/NOZx). Go up on the main and test your throttle response and performance.

Ok so I left the 42 pilot in and put the needle clip in the number 2 position. Very very very nice throttle response in the slow tight technical stuff. seems to be running just a hair rich so I'll leave it right where it is ... I put the 180 main in and did another 55 mph plug chop and i got the same color plug that I got with the 178. what i would call a slightly yellow tinted white, definitly looked lean to my untrained eye. color covered the bottom part of the ground electrode and the insulator that surrounds the center electrode. Part of me is wondering if that is what it is suppose to look like when you've got it pinned. still I don't think you'd want to run it like that for 20 laps on an mx track. Plug looked fine when I was riding through the woods from 0 to say 1/2throttle. wish I could get some pics. any guesses as to why it looks so lean on top w/a 180 in there??

Leave the 180 in.

I'm never wide open for any extended periods of time.

You could actually try a 185 or until you know you're rich wide open and then go down one. I would want to error on the rich side for WOT.

With my '05 EC300, I am currently running a 42p/175m/#7 slide/CCK needle (pos #3) running at sea level to 3000' ASL. The only other mod is the head work from RB. The bike is a little rich trying to pull onto the pipe in rain mode, but it makes riding it way easy in the dry, slick conditions here in NorCal. In dry mode it makes better use of the fuel available.

What's nice is that the stock needle is great for MX tracks and desert. The LTR needle is pretty good everywhere with an EC head, but in combination with the RB headwork and a #8 slide, it was a monster off the bottom. The CCK makes the most linear power, but is slightly rich in the rain mode. I may buy the next couple leaner needles to play with.

Back