Check Your Powervalve Freeplay!

mlbco

I have an '11 300 6-days and had been playing around with low end jetting for a few weeks before I ran across this thread in the engine section:
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9517

When I checked my powervalve freeplay there was noticeable slop. After performing the adjustment mentioned in the thread, the low end power delivery became much more predictable and my jetting adjustments converged to a reasonable solution.

I'd like to recommend that everyone check their powervalve before they start experimenting with jetting.

My final jetting set up is (38mm Airstriker II, sea level conditions):
170 Main
JD blue needle #2 clip position
45 pilot
Airscrew open 1.0 turns

It also helps to leave the ignition map switch in one setting while making jetting changes. I use the milder map setting for all my riding (rain setting). I measured 22 mpg fuel consumption with these settings in dry riding conditions (average ride speed 21 mph).

Steve

Do you remember what you stock jetting specs? If so could you please post them.

Here are the settings the bike was delivered to me with:
Main = 175
Needle = N1EF, clip= 2nd from top
Pilot = 40
Air screw = 1.5 turns open

Steve

This is exactly to the millimeter how my '10 EC300 was delivered with the older Air Stryker II, screw on cap.

I, too, am about to take the side case cover off and check the powervalve action.

Everyone should do this on a new GG, in fact get a side cover gasket when you pick the bike up. I'd also pull the shift shaft and deburr/polish the "scorpion" but the old sticky shifter issue seems to be gone on the newer bikes. If I was a dealer this would be part of a new bike prep.

A couple of different responses here from me...........

Sixdays & mlbco, I'm in Australia and my 2010 nambo had same jetting, only difference being the N1EF on top clip(leanest) and airscrew 3 1/4 turns out, this is how it came from spain. I purchased my bike in it's disassembled state still in it's original packaging, so neither the oz importer or the bike shop i bought it from had touched the carb.
I'm probably being a smartarse(smartass) here, but i reckon the gg factory has a container load of N1EF's that they need to get rid of before we see any variation in jetting from them, even my 2005 ec 300 had a N1EF from new. Maybe they just see it as a safe bet worldwide.

Bailey28, You have me confused with the carb's.

I thought that the circular screw down top was AS I, and that the rectangular top with 2 x small screws was AS II.

Dangit why did I read this thread? Now I have yet another project to add to my insurmountable list of things to do. :D

Seriously thanks for the heads up. Is the old cover gasket not reusable a time or two?

I thought that the circular screw down top was AS I, and that the rectangular top with 2 x small screws was AS II.

True 'dat. As an aside, the ASII body was used by Yamaha way back in the 2001 timeframe for their powerjet carb.

Several of us have similar combo's to the stock YZ's of those years. N3EJ, N3EW, N3EH tapers, slightly leaner pilots, same mains. Are we missing out on the ASII's power enrichment option on our bikes?

I know that the power enrichment is a small brass spray bar that sticks out into the venturi and works in mid to high throttle positions. Most MX bikes that came with the Keihin have it. I wonder how it would make our GG's perform? I think it is TPS triggered, in our case it would be hard to make it work.

Back