Clutch Hydraulic Fluid ?

biggstr6

Bronze Level Site Supporter
I lost a little fluid was going to replace it and noticed the manual says mineral oil.

Maybe a stupid question ,but what is mineral oil ? and where do I get it ?

would brake fluid work?

mineral oil is a petroleum product, and you should be able to find it at an auto parts store like napa. its what magura clutches have been using for clutch fluid, whereas ajp clutches used to use brake fluid. i do not know if you can use brake fluid in yours or not, so i will let someone else chime in on that matter

I lost a little fluid was going to replace it and noticed the manual says mineral oil.

Maybe a stupid question ,but what is mineral oil ? and where do I get it ?

would brake fluid work?

Mineral oil is used to clean paint brushes and thin oil based paint. The hardware store or any paint store should have it.

If your manual says "use mineral oil" you must do so. Brake fluid melts "mineralproof" O-rings and gasgets and mineral oil melts "brakefluidproofs". Trust me. I did that mistake once...

I use fork oil in anything that asks for mineral oil. ATF works well also.

Mineral oil has a different meaning in EU to NA.

So , is the mineral oil you get at a drugstore the same stuff (the stuff you can drink for constipation? Just seems weird to me .

Some one said its the stuff you clean paint brushes with , Isn't that mineral spirits ? Is that the same stuff?

baby oil is just mineral oil with some fragrance.
both are available at the drug store, etc
you cant mix brake fluid, it will cause a problem.

KTM stores should stock mineral fluid for Magura clutches, I used that stuff, bought a tiny 250mm bottle, still have it despite that fact that all 3 of my bikes have mineral fluid clutches.

I bought a 2 1/2 gal. jug at the lumber yard for under $20 and use it to clean paint brushes and light my charcoal in my BBQ grill. My Gasser calls for DOT brake fluid and you don't want to get even one drop mixed or it will ruin all the soft seals in the brake system that it touches.

"Mineral Oil" simply means a petroleum base oil. Don't read too much into this. Like Scotty said fork oil, ATF, and anything similar is fine. I have a qt. of hydraulic jack oil from Autozone that works fine as well.

Thanks Jeff ,but I used a little fork oil after reading all this.

Last edited:
Waking up a thread here rather than starting a new one. Here's a question for you guys. I know putting brake fluid in a "mineral oil only" clutch, such as a Magura, is a no-no, but what about putting mineral oil in a clutch that says use only brake fluid?

I ask because a buddy gave me a brand new Brembo m/c assembly today off a late model KTM and I'd like to swap it out with my AJP, but it calls for brake fluid. In all these years I've heard countless questions about using brake fluid instead of mineral oil, but never the other way around.

No go, the rubber will swell. The new KTM Maguras use brake fluid? Good news is its just an o-ring on the slave piston, probably BunaN for oil compatibility on the newer GGs. Slave should be the same size so older orings should fit, but check the parts manual. A material compatibility check will tell you whats good as well.

No go, the rubber will swell. The new KTM Maguras use brake fluid? Good news is its just an o-ring on the slave piston, probably BunaN for oil compatibility on the newer GGs. Slave should be the same size so older orings should fit, but check the parts manual. A material compatibility check will tell you whats good as well.
Thanks. I figured as much.

I guess KTM switched somewhere along the line from Maguras to Brembos, which use brake fluid. My latest KTM was a 2006 and that had the Magura so they changed over after that I assume. This is a 2010 unit I think. I'll check into changing the o-ring. That would be nice and simple.

I checked, Styrene Butadiene (SBR) or Ethylene-Propylene (EPDM) are what you want for brake fluid, and are poor choices for petroleum base oils. You should be able to get these from a good o-ring supplier. The parts list just shows a kit, no separate o-rings

Brembo, I missed that, that explains it.

Back